Scottish Aviation (BAe) Bulldog

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 30, 2018, 05:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

surprised to see there is no topic regarding the Scottish Aviation Bulldog.

this little prop powered aircraft is well know in civil aviation, aswell as a military training aircraft.
but the aircraft has a lot more potential, i found some pictures where one aircraft was being equiped with MAtra 68mm rockets for a potental COIN role.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Lovely looking aeroplane, but you need LOADS of nose weight to keep a model of one on its wheels!

I flew in one once, great stuff.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2018, 11:22:05 AM
Lovely looking aeroplane, but you need LOADS of nose weight to keep a model of one on its wheels!

Lead does wonders   ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

I thought COIN before I even opened your post. Great minds think alike! (And fools never differ, but let us speak no more of that.  ;D)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 30, 2018, 11:59:11 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2018, 11:22:05 AM

Lead does wonders   ;)

It's finding somewhere to put it in a Bulldog that's the problem. Mine only stayed upright because of the flats I filed on the bottom of the wheels!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

There's space behind the seats in a Bulldog and the rear window's behind the trailing edge, so why not have a COIN mini-gunship version with a 7.62mm gatling gun firing out of the side window?

Alternatively, have a side-facing camera in the back, for those all-important 'navigational training flights' out of Berlin-Gatow... :wacko:

Side note: does anyone know where you can get those 6-round MATRA/SNEB rocket pods seen in the pics in 1/72nd scale? The 18-round pods are ten-a-penny, but I can't think of any kit that's got the 6-rounders in. It's not like they're a minority interest either: loads of COIN aircraft use them and AAC Gazelles were fitted for them and used them in the Falklands.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Martin H

Old news to me  :mellow:

all the way from January 2006.............................................

The Bulldog Coin. Aka the Pitbull dog. in SAAF cammo.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on March 30, 2018, 03:43:17 PM

Side note: does anyone know where you can get those 6-round MATRA/SNEB rocket pods seen in the pics in 1/72nd scale?

If you have or know where one of those first release Airfix Hawker Harrier GR.1 kits are, they have them. I used some on this project.

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 30, 2018, 04:21:44 PM

Side note: does anyone know where you can get those 6-round MATRA/SNEB rocket pods seen in the pics in 1/72nd scale?

If you have or know where one of those first release Airfix Hawker Harrier GR.1 kits are, they have them. I used some on this project.

Nope: those are 18-round Type-155 pods. I mean the 6-round F2 pods, which are roughly half the diameter of a 155.

Anyway, answered my own question: CMK do a set:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK7361

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on March 30, 2018, 05:45:15 PM

Nope: those are 18-round Type-155 pods. I mean the 6-round F2 pods, which are roughly half the diameter of a 155.

Ah! right, just counted them, and they're not 18-round either, there's only fifteen holes ----  :o what ones are those then ?

I have some even less than that if I can find them.

EDIT: hmm! I found the ones which are smaller in diameter which I was thinking of, and you're right, I count 18 holes, double checked the ones on my Turbo-Terrier and they have fifteen.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 30, 2018, 04:21:44 PM

Man, I like that!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 30, 2018, 06:35:08 PM

Ah! right, just counted them, and they're not 18-round either, there's only fifteen holes ----  :o what ones are those then ?

EDIT: hmm! I found the ones which are smaller in diameter which I was thinking of, and you're right, I count 18 holes, double checked the ones on my Turbo-Terrier and they have fifteen.

I've never heard of a 15-round SNEB pod. The standard ones which the RAF had were definitely 18-round Type-155s. Those and the 6-round F2s are the most common, and there's also a really big 36-round pod (F1?) which you rarely see in use. These are all reusable pods which can fire variable salvos, but there was also a series of disposable ones with frangible nose caps and an extra central rocket to break them. These came in 19-round (Type 116) and 7-round versions, only fired full salvos, and were automatically jettisoned afterwards.

I strongly suspect that your 15-rounders are simply badly molded. I've seen some shockingly bad SNEB pods in kits: as I've remarked before, kit designers sometimes seem to shy away from putting as much effort into the 'nasty' weapons as they do into the 'pretty' planes... :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones '

AS.12

Quote from: Nils on March 30, 2018, 05:49:39 AM
i found some pictures where one aircraft was being equiped with MAtra 68mm rockets for a potental COIN role.

Great find!  G-ASAL came to visit my local airfield a while back, I had a chat with the current owner but I'll bet he didn't know it used to fly around with rocket-pods  :o

zenrat

There's space behind the seats in a Bulldog and the rear window's behind the trailing edge, so why not have a COIN mini-gunship version with a 7.62mm gatling gun firing out of the side window?

Alternatively, have a side-facing camera in the back, for those all-important 'navigational training flights' out of Berlin-Gatow... :wacko:

Side note: does anyone know where you can get those 6-round MATRA/SNEB rocket pods seen in the pics in 1/72nd scale? The 18-round pods are ten-a-penny, but I can't think of any kit that's got the 6-rounders in. It's not like they're a minority interest either: loads of COIN aircraft use them and AAC Gazelles were fitted for them and used them in the Falklands.

The PDRV Sestapo (Secret State Police) use the very similar Thomas To-27 Sawfly as a night interdiction gunship to remove enemies of the state.
To-27 Sawfly 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I found that there is enough room in the nose of the Airfix kit for the required amount of weight.  However, the undercarriage wasn't up to the job of supporting it and required reinforcing.
To-27 Sawfly 001 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,41246.msg703777.html#msg703777

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on March 30, 2018, 07:03:39 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on March 30, 2018, 06:35:08 PM

I've never heard of a 15-round SNEB pod. The standard ones which the RAF had were definitely 18-round Type-155s. Those and the 6-round F2s are the most common, and there's also a really big 36-round pod (F1?) which you rarely see in use. These are all reusable pods which can fire variable salvos, but there was also a series of disposable ones with frangible nose caps and an extra central rocket to break them. These came in 19-round (Type 116) and 7-round versions, only fired full salvos, and were automatically jettisoned afterwards.

I strongly suspect that your 15-rounders are simply badly molded. I've seen some shockingly bad SNEB pods in kits: as I've remarked before, kit designers sometimes seem to shy away from putting as much effort into the 'nasty' weapons as they do into the 'pretty' planes... :rolleyes:

I'm trying to remember which kit I got them from H', I know I didn't ""mess"" around with them, I've got another photo before I painted them and that's how they are.