Handley Page Heywhat??

Started by loupgarou, November 19, 2017, 09:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

I had a lot of ideas for floatplanes/flying boats projects, but got diverted by family issues.
I hope to at least start with some kits.
Here is the mandatory photo with today's newspaper. ;D I hope the date is readable.
Model: Revell reissue of the Matchbox Heyford, floats courtesy of (I think) an ancient Airfix Ju-52, and torpedo left over from an Artiplast S-79.
Of course, it will be a monoplane, I have yet to find an appropriate name - starting with an H obviously.

EDIT: suggestions for the name will be appreciated.

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Somewhere coastal obviously.  Hastings, Havant, Hull...

Floats mounted directly on the lower wing?  Gunners in the floats?

This will be good.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Handley-Page Hull :thumbsup: ;D, gets my vote.

A later design that might be useful for layout:

The HP 53 design was ordered by the Swedes and built in parallel with the HP 52, aircraft was never delivered,
rather it was converted to Dagger engines to act as the prototype for the Hereford.

PR19_Kit

Where do the bombs go? The Heyford carries them in a thickened centre section of the lower wing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 19, 2017, 02:20:44 PM
Where do the bombs go? The Heyford carries them in a thickened centre section of the lower wing.

It's a torpedo plane. The torpedo will go between the float struts.

@ Joncarr: thank for the input. Hull could be, but it doesn't have a hull, being a floatplane.  ;D I'd keep the name for a flying boat.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jcf

Quote from: loupgarou on November 19, 2017, 02:26:19 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 19, 2017, 02:20:44 PM

It's a torpedo plane. The torpedo will go between the float struts.

@ Joncarr: thank for the input. Hull could be, but it doesn't have a hull, being a floatplane.  ;D I'd keep the name for a flying boat.

Technically, it has two hulls.  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 19, 2017, 02:04:40 PM

Gunners in the floats?

If it was a Soviet design I think that would be obligatory  ;)

Looking forward to it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

I had to go away for a few days, so I couldn't work, but my build is not abandoned.
Fuselage put together, with a cockpit floor, now starting some PSR. Found some pretty sink marks . :rolleyes:
I am wondering if the wings, considering it will be a monoplane, have enough surface or should be lengthened. Obvioulsy, it would have been simpler BEFORE I had glued together the upper and lower surfaces.  :banghead:

ysi_maniac

Suggested names: Hero, Helsinki, Hell.

BTW I also suggest you to post bigger photos. <_<

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

dogsbody

loupgarou, could you please post larger pictures? These ones are postage stamp sized.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

jcf

Probably lengthened and some sort of bracing as the wings aren't very thick.

Or really big translating flaps ala the Gouge type used on C-class and later
Shorts flying-boats and the Stirling, or Fairey-Youngman, early for either,
I realize but it's a Whif.

The Junkers double-wing type would be more of a period solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_(aeronautics)

jcf

The images are thumbnail links, here are the direct links:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on December 02, 2017, 10:35:08 AM

I am wondering if the wings, considering it will be a monoplane, have enough surface or should be lengthened. Obviously, it would have been simpler BEFORE I had glued together the upper and lower surfaces.  :banghead:

I can see nothing wrong with that idea at all.  ;D

I've been doing that on one of my 'long build' projects too and it's quite possible. You just need to ensure the dips in the fabric remain sensibly spaced or it looks weird.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: dogsbody on December 02, 2017, 11:10:46 AM
loupgarou, could you please post larger pictures? These ones are postage stamp sized.

Chris

You're right. I am sorry. I used the thumb option, that on photobucket opened up on clicking, but it doesn't appear to be working in postimage. I'll substitute full size ones.

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2017, 11:47:42 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on December 02, 2017, 10:35:08 AM

I am wondering if the wings, considering it will be a monoplane, have enough surface or should be lengthened. Obviously, it would have been simpler BEFORE I had glued together the upper and lower surfaces.  :banghead:

I can see nothing wrong with that idea at all.  ;D

I've been doing that on one of my 'long build' projects too and it's quite possible. You just need to ensure the dips in the fabric remain sensibly spaced or it looks weird.

Yes, but my worry was strength. Before glueing the wings, I'd have staggered the cuts (upper and lower), now it will be more difficult and messy.