Chyeranovskii BICh-26

Started by 63cpe, March 02, 2017, 10:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

I wonder if this build is eligible in this GB as it not build from a kit, although parts from different kits will be involved...
Spawned by the post of RAFF-35 I was inspired to build my own BICh-26 from balsawood and plastic parts from other kits. First some info on the BICH-16 from wikipedia, then some pictures.

The BICh-26 was a tail-less jet fighter designed in the Soviet Union from 1947.

Development
After the close of World War II, Boris Cheranovsky was running a de facto design bureau working on jet fighter aircraft. Not only was Cheranovsky involved with jet propulsion, he also studied variable geometry with the BICh-24 and BICh-25, which were designed with variable sweep wings pivoting outboard of the fuselage to help alleviate centre of pressure changes. Also envisaged was a stressed skin light alloy tailless jet fighter with powered flying controls and pressurised cockpit, designated BICh-26. Cheranovsky's failing health from 1948 prevented further progress on these projects.

Specifications (BICh-26)
Data from Gunston, Bill. "The Osprey Encyclopaedia of Russian Aircraft 1875 – 1995". London, Osprey. 1995. ISBN 1-85532-405-9

General characteristics
Crew: 1
Length: 9 m (29 ft 7 in)*
Wingspan: 7 m (23 ft in)*
Wing area: 27 m2 (291 ft2)
Gross weight: 4,500 kg (9,920 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Mikulin AM-5 turbojet, 44.15 kN (9,920 lbf) thrust
Performance
Maximum speed: Mach 1.7
Service ceiling: 22,000 m (72,000 ft)

*= there is some debate about the length and wingspan: some sources state the length is 10,70 meter and the wingspan is 8 meters. I chose the greater span and length as this seems to suit the Mikulin AM-5 (or Tumansky RD-9) better.

The start: getting the dimensions right...
IMG_20170123_134707050_HDR by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

Two parts of balsawood each 1 cm thick
IMG_20170123_135858896_HDR by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

Glued together
IMG_20170123_140604124_HDR by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

The first shapes are drawn on the block and the first rough shapes are sanded
IMG_20170302_122931843_HDR by David Dunnebier, on Flickr
IMG_20170302_124436335_HDR by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

The drawing was enlarged but still didn't correspond to the sizes in 1/72. The balsa part is the fuselage only without the tailcone, flaps and outer wings
IMG_20170302_125513981 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

Left fuselage is roughly shaped, right side is following
IMG_20170302_131802699 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

Fuselage is sanded roughly into shape
IMG_20170302_143139321 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr
IMG_20170302_143153229 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr
IMG_20170302_145226240_HDR by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

Try fit of  the MiG-17 canopy
IMG_20170302_150207945 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr
IMG_20170302_150216617 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

Now, I was thinking about making a mould of the fuselage and cast it in resin so I can fit a cockpit tub, wheel wells and intake ducts. I could also cast the parts for interested modellers, although I'm not a professional resin caster. What do you reckon? could modelers be interested in a 1/72 resin model of the BICh-26?

David

loupgarou

Good work!
From the first drawing I thought it was yet another use of the Seahawk fuselage.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

That looks great Dave.  And it is eligible for the GB because it was thought up in the USSR.
You are a man of many talents.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RAFF-35

Phenomenal stuff bud  :thumbsup: glad I mentioned this amazing little plane, your build is going really nicely so far, would be interesting to see if you could get it cast in resin, because as you say, it'd be easier to add details. As usual, can't wait to see it finished  ;D
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

PR19_Kit

Having done numerous balsa 'solids' in my time, that's back in the 50s I might add, that looks a super job you're doing there.  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the finished article.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: 63cpe on March 02, 2017, 10:44:58 AM
I wonder if this build is eligible in this GB as it not build from a kit, although parts from different kits will be involved...

With my moderator's hat on, yes, it absolutely IS eligible. The whole site is for modelling of all kinds, irrespective of the materials, not just commerical kit building.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

DogfighterZen

That's very nice work but i also think you should go for the resin cast, would be great to see that little jet with some more detail. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Glenn Gilbertson

Great work on a beautiful aircraft - go for it! :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Yes! This is cool... love some multi-media mixed media stuff.  It's already been addressed & answered but I'd like to add that I would flabbergasted if it weren't allowed!  True spirit of what-if right here. I don't think anyone wouldn't want to see this! 

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Wow ! This is awesome ! I've been thinking about using wood for awhile now, just seems logical, and easier than a big mess of putty !? Love the shape, you're really nailing it ! Great stuff.

:wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Vorcha

A scratchbuilt free model! Been thinking about making a scratchbuild myself as a second entry. Beautiful work.  :thumbsup:  :wub:
paper boy

Tophe

Great scratchbuilding, congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

63cpe

Little progress is made. But the fuselage is readied to pour the mould, surface is as smooth as silk.....

IMG_20170310_164314025 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Intakes and cavities for undercarriage was made
IMG_20170310_164248956 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

David

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"