In need of some help with a build I am doing.

Started by chrisonord, March 09, 2016, 07:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I am currently battling my way through building the Modelsvit Bartini- Beriev VVA-1A. I want to use the back story of the aircraft/WIG craft being put into limited production as a maritime patrol amphibious flying boat, that served for a short time with the Soviet navy before being replaced by the Beriev A-40, and was retired and stuck into various museums, until My Nicaraguan Cartel got offered a couple for much cheapness. Armament wise I have narrowed it down to a fixed forward firing NR-23 twin barreled cannon, in a fixed forward firing blister on the main fuselage.Missile wise, I have decided to arm it with KH-58 (AS-11 Kilter) missiles, with the possibility of some free fall bombs and or rockets. The main thing that I am at a standstill with is what kind of radar can I put on it as I can't put one in the nose, because of the shape and canto put one underneath also because of the shape of the craft and because it will interfere with the water dynamics. I have looked at the roof mounted disc radars as per Indian IL-38's and also the possibility of roof mounted pods, but the later to me won't look very "Soviet" to me. I have looked at all different types of radar but not found anything suitable for the task. I will put wing and tail surface sensors on also, but the main search radar is my stumbling block.
Cheers, and sorry for waffling  :-X
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

dwomby

How about something above the cockpit like the Danes had on their Catalinas?

David

chrisonord

Cheers David, I have been thinking of something like that, but my main purpose it to try and keep it as Russian looking as possible, I have see plenty of western planes with this application but nothing Soviet/Russian.
Cheers,
Chris

sandiego89

I think some of the stuff put onto the soviet and indian il-38's looks plenty Soviet.  Hope those danes didn't plan on having kids  :o

All sorts of stuff scabbed onto this one, on the nose, underside, and on top:

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

scooter

What about a thimble dome like on the Be-12?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Logan Hartke

My fear about putting something above the cockpit is that it may interfere with the airflow to the top-mounted engines, but I agree that an Il-38-style roof-mounted radar may be the easiest while still looking "Soviet".

My suggestion, though, is a little different given the Bartini's weird nose. I would look at doing a high-mounted radar in the glass nose, like a combination of the Heinkel He 119 and the Beriev Be-12.

Sleeker like the He 119's propeller spinner, but with a Be-12-style radar, instead.

Cheers,

Logan

chrisonord

I have just found a model built by Ken Duffey on the flankers site, he has done several versions including the V/TOL version. On this model he has put a thimble dome on the lower part of the front glazing, I will have to have a look at the glazing on mine to see if I can get away with it and make it look convincing enough. If not, back to the drawing board.
Cheers for the input guys.
Chris

McColm

Great pictures and I hope the build goes well.

zenrat

This one has a pod above the fuselage...

...whereas this one (on the right) has it mounted on a mast like a ship...

...and this one could have radars in the pods on top of the vertical tails.

All from here. http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/06/ekranoplans-showcase-part-2.html
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Thanks for those Zenrat, the one on the Ekranoplan looks good, but I am thinking I will have to make it on a stronger and more aerodynamic base, as the craft also flies.
Cheers,
Chris

Weaver

If you look at the later version with engines on the sides of the forward fuselage, the point of the nose was solid rather than glazed. That implies to me that you could fit a thimble radome on the earlier one without obscuring pilot view too much.

Image from here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeroenbos/12682296933
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

chrisonord

So far that is looking favourite H.
Cheers,
Chris.

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on March 11, 2016, 05:26:39 AM
If you look at the later version with engines on the sides of the forward fuselage, the point of the nose was solid rather than glazed. That implies to me that you could fit a thimble radome on the earlier one without obscuring pilot view too much.

Image from here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeroenbos/12682296933

That wouldn't look out of place in Star Wars VIII
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

In its current build state it does look very much like something from Star wars, as it is such an unconventional shape too. I am looking forward to the day I eventually finish it even though it is being hard work to build.
Cheers
Chris.

NARSES2

Strangely given we have been mentioning the Great A'Tuin  :bow: on another thread from certain angles that looks rather like a turtle's head  :blink: Or is my re-reading the Discworld series from the beginning again starting to effect what remains of my brain ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.