Sukhoi Su-13 'Fishcake'

Started by kitbasher, December 31, 2015, 07:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Been wracking my brains trying to think what to contribute to this GB.  Didn't want to ad to the stash, equally didn't want to whif something I want to get rid of (briefly toyed with the idea of a North Korean Pe-2 using leftover Airfix MiG-15 markings).

Then it came to me.  One of my many planned builds is an English Electric P.6 development of the Lightning made by cross-kitting an old Airfix Lightning F.1A witha Kopro Su-9 (Weaver and I swapped PMs on the subject - prompted by his 'EE P.7D' (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34972.msg555660.html#msg555660) - almost 3 :o years ago).  So with the leftovers I will build a 'Fishcake' in East German markings (from a Hi-Decal set - the Il-28 will now be Egyptian I guess!).  I'd thought of Egyptian (more colourful) but East Germany reeks Cold War.  
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Made a start this morning, some sub-assemblies and preliminary mods to the fuselage, including rudimentary cockpit detail.  I'll be using the Kopro instrument panel decals in due course. Fin/rudder cut down and awaiting final reshaping.

No aftermarket stuff to be used - essentially all from leftovers including the Kopro Su-9 seat (to the left of the picture above).  Yep, pretty basic but miles better than the Airfix Lightning seat (right).  Some additional detail will improve the Kopro seat, most of which will be out of sight in the assembled cockpit.

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

I've always liked the idea of a delta-winged Lightning - this should look great!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Captain Canada

Cool. This is going to be good. And thanks for the link....forgot all about that one, another beauty !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Another look at the cockpit side panels and they need to be built up - too low.  Next modelling day is Saturday I reckon - sort the panels, scribe the fuselage panel lines, fort out the gap where the belly tank was, etc.

kitbasher

Been plugging away at finishing off some part builds and really trying hard not to be tempted to start something new (real world or whif).  So, FOCUS!!!  Stay with the GB build!!!

The Fishcake is therefore top of the list.  After panel scribing and general rubbing down some basic cockpit detail and nose weighting added; wings, tailplane, fin/rudder attached, nose cone and tailpipes attached (the blue bits are Su-9 parts).

Some serious planking, filling and PSR needed to finish the fuselage - top is more of a job than the underside.  Belly tank removed but refitted inside the fuselage to mostly plug the hole.

But I'm having second thought about the colour scheme.  Thinking it might be Egyptian after all, as I really like the idea of an East German Il-28 at some point, and there are some very attractive three-colour Egyptian MiG-21 schemes to copy.  Russian is a third option - some Airfix MiG-15 markings going spare.

Dizzyfugu

Looks great  with these low delta wings!  :thumbsup:

A suggestion: maybe put the stabilizers on the same level, too? In real life, they'd be blocked from clean airstream at high angles of attack.

kitbasher

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 08, 2016, 05:33:51 AM
A suggestion: maybe put the stabilizers on the same level, too? In real life, they'd be blocked from clean airstream at high angles of attack.

Good suggestion Dizzy, however they're glued in place (and they do follow the same layout on the Su-9 (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Sukhoi_Su-9.svg/2000px-Sukhoi_Su-9.svg.png) and Su-11 (https://www.aviationsmilitaires.net/media/views/su11_3v.jpg)).

kitbasher

Okay so not very much progress at all of late - the last hour or so is the most I've been able to devote to modelling for a few weeks.  Essentially the gap resulting from the belly tank and the fuselage spine have been faired over, filled and now rubbed down.  Some more filling and rubbing is needed to finish off the work.  Also the fuselage immediately below where the windscreen will be placed needs a little bit of building up as the Su-9 windscreen shape is very different from the Lightning's.

The Fubar (http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23088.msg346848.html#msg346848) has given up some intakes that do originally come from the Su-9 kit; missiles plus their pylons and a few aerials will come from the same source.  The plan with the Fubar is to return it to a Lightning F3 with Genies in lieu of Firestreaks/Red Tops.  But that is for another day.

So still a way to go then with the Fubar (RIP).  No way I can meet the deadline and given forthcoming commitments I'd need an extension to around the 17th of April, which is taking the mickey a bit.

Pics will follow when it's worth posting some more up - I will be continuing the build after the GB closes.

DogfighterZen

It has to be finished, it's a great idea! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Any progress here? Curious about what has become of this delta wing Lightning!  :lol:

KiwiZac

Me too, this is a really cool design! I hope she's still on the bench.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates