Boeing 737 variants

Started by Spey_Phantom, September 25, 2013, 12:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

the Boeing 737 over the years has proven to be one of the most succesfull medium-range aircraft in the world.
but not only as an airliner, the adaptability of the aircraft also made it a great platform for Maretime patrol (P-8 Poseidon & the earlier Indonesian 737 MPA conversion), Airborne Early Warning & Control (737-AEW Wedgetail), military troopship (C-40 Clipper) and many more.

i also remember there were offering an ELINT/SIGINT/EW version to the US Navy and Air Force to replace the E-6B, E-8 JSTARS and older RC- and EC-135's

after reading an article about a tanker version of the Bae146, a few years ago, i read that there were also plans to build a tanker version of the 737 multiple times. in the past there were plans for a 737-200 tanker conversion, and more recently there were rumors of converting a number of 737NG's (-700 or -800) into tankers.
although the aircraft are quite small and limited in range to the strategic tankers (KC-135, KC-10, KC-767,...), it was concider to suplement these as "Tactical Tankers".
i think there is a market for a KC-737, although to small to be fitted with a flying boom, it would be a good idea to equip them with HDU pods under the wings, maybe even another in the tail. would make a good inter-theatre tanker.

http://www.iai.co.il/sip_storage/FILES/1/38471.pdf

size difference between the 707 and 737 ist that much (about 10 to 15 feet), so i think its plausible.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

jcf

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/airports/737.page

Section 2 Airplane Description:
http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/737sec2.pdf

737-900ER with two aux. tanks has a usable fuel load of 52,508 lbs.

737-BBJ with nine aux. tanks: 71,670 lbs.
737-BBJ2 with seven aux. tanks: 69,968 lbs.

Wedgetail based on the BBJ airframe, P-8 on the -800/BBJ2.

The all-singing, all-dancing super EW design of over a decade ago was based on the 767-400.

rickshaw

IIRC the Indonesia Maritime Patrol version of the 737 was equipped to be converted to a two point refueller with underwing pods.   It has two long, phased array radar aerials on top of the fuselage:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uVS95CrbD3o/TWnCkmAkb4I/AAAAAAAAFCw/9hHCNHQPbso/s1600/b737surveillance.jpg
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

RLBH

Apropos of nothing in particular, my monitor cut off the bottom of that picture so that the KC-135 looked like it was on a (very large) aircraft carrier.  :o

Spey_Phantom

this is interesting: http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.be/p/gallery-ii.html

QuoteIt is believed that this airbone command post aircraft was developed by Xian Aircraft Corporation (XAC). The aircraft appears to have been converted privately from a Boeing 737-3Q8 passenger aircraft (without US approval) which was originally purchased by China United Airline in 1990. A prominent feature of Boeing 737 command post is one large fairing on top of the forward fuselage and two small fairings located underneath the mid-section of the fuselage, which could house communication and datalink antennas. Initially the aircraft adopted a light grey color scheme by was changed to the standard PLAAF VIP transport color scheme. Two were converted (B-4052 & 4053). Boeing 737 command post is thought to be used mainly by PLA top generals.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

As the Chinese bought it why would they need US approval? It's THEIR aeroplane after all......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I love the 737....lots of potential. The Poseidon is going to be an awesome platform.

Also surprised at how small the KC-135 looks these days...that was a big aeroplane when I was a kid !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 29, 2013, 03:00:28 PM
As the Chinese bought it why would they need US approval? It's THEIR aeroplane after all......

Patents, mods to the fuselage, design authority and type certification issues, technology transfers, etc, I'd have thought.

When Marshall's of Cambridge designed and built the RAF Tristar freighter conversions I recall there a whole load of legal sorting out to do with Lockheed before proceeding - that's with Marshall's already being an approved maintenance and repair organisation and approved Lockheed agent!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

rickshaw

I think you'll find that it was also an issue of transfer of ownership.  Under US law, the transfer/sale of airliners has to be approved before it can go ahead.

PR19_Kit

But the Chinese had ALREADY bought the aircraft, and as they're for their own use in their own country their OWN 'type certification' and 'design authority' take precendance.

If I bought a Corvette (I should be so lukcy....) I wouldn't have to apply to General Motors or the US Highway Safety Authority or whatever to swap the engine for a Ford unit (perish the thought....) and I'd have to conform to the UK rules and regulations to take it on the road.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Might not be US gov approval Kit, but Boeing's as the design authority for the type.

BAe had a similar situation with the Swiss airforce Hawks. The Swiss modified them after delivery without BAe's help. SO as they were unaware as to the nature of the mods the company withdrew type support for the airframes. Its a bit like saying Ok, you do with them as you want. But don't come crying to us if it goes wrong.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

I don't disagree, but that's JUST what the Chinese do all the time, viz the various Su-27 upgrades and hybrids. They don't give a damn about design rights or copywrite etc.  To an extent they've taken over the mantle of the Soviet Union in the 50s. Did Tupolev ask Boeing's permission to build the Tu-4 and eventually the Tu-95? Did it hell!

I'd be in the same position with my hypothetical Ford/Chevy Corvette, it'd be no good me complaining to GM that the prop shaft snapped because the torque from the Ford engine was too much for it.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 29, 2013, 04:33:53 PM
But the Chinese had ALREADY bought the aircraft, and as they're for their own use in their own country their OWN 'type certification' and 'design authority' take precendance.

A legal entity called "a Chinese airline" had bought the aircraft, Kit.  They were then transferred to a different legal entity called "the Chinese Government".   Yes, China, the nation had bought them but the sale was not vested (directly anyway) in China but in the airline.

If I bought a Corvette (I should be so lukcy....) I wouldn't have to apply to General Motors or the US Highway Safety Authority or whatever to swap the engine for a Ford unit (perish the thought....) and I'd have to conform to the UK rules and regulations to take it on the road.

You're right but motorcars are not covered by the same legal requirements as aircraft which have potential military applications...

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit