Martin-Baker MB.6: A profile "bulid"

Started by jeremak, February 14, 2011, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

No, I'm sure I heard somewhere that the RAF flew them in Burma and that the US trialed some.  I also heard somehere that someone flew some over Korea a few years later...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GTX on March 08, 2011, 11:15:18 PM
No, I'm sure I heard somewhere that the RAF flew them in Burma and that the US trialed some.  I also heard somehere that someone flew some over Korea a few years later...

The RAAF MB-6s of RAAF 72 Sqdn. were co-located with the USAF 68th and 339th Fighter Squadrons at Itazuke air base in Japan during the early days of the Korean conflict, after flying out from Australia soon after the opening of hostilities. There had been no declaration of war on the part of the Commonwealth at the time, and the MB6s took no part in the missions flown by the two USAF Twin Mustang units, although that was the original intention. Later on 72 Sqdn. took part in the night fighter offensive over Korea, but were hampered by their lack of range compared to the F-82Fs and Gs of the American units.

In 1951, after the Allied offensive had made some serious progress, 72 Sqdn. moved their MB6s to Pusan AFB, joining 77 Sqdn's Meteor F8s there, and taking on the night fighting duties over the sector. They proved remarkably successfull at this, scoring many kills during the N Korean and Chinese night attacks, and being much the preferred aircraft for these duties. 72 Sqdn. moved back to Oz after the cease fire was negotiated in July 1953, and was disbanded shortly afterward. All of their aircraft were scrapped apart from the singleton survivor at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

jeremak

Oh... Here they come...
About 20 MB.6 went to Burma. Most of them were painted like other SEAC aircrafts:

But 4, were field moded into anti-shipping roles. They carried a "amoeba" camo, made from modified Temperate Sea Scheme:

Another 4 planes was evaluated by USAAF. They were, for unknown reason painted in "Atlantic Scheme": maybe Americans wanted to test them as a fast ASW plane, but in that time german u-boats wasn't already a threat. And on Pacific different scheme was used.

Plus australian nghtfighter in Korea:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

sideshowbob9

NARSES2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on March 11, 2011, 02:16:06 PM
The amoeba scheme is inspired!

I have to agree with that staement, as is the standard SEAC and the XP-74  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

IanH

Jeremak - Many Thanks - I now have some schemes for my Ventura MB6 :bow:

Pablo1965

Thanks, is very interesting and inspiring :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: