Supermarine Type 391

Started by GTX, December 31, 2007, 10:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Now that's cool. Elegant aircraft.  :thumbsup:

perttime

The same guy has also designed and built Hawker P.1030 and Supermarine Spiteful models that fly. He has CAD plans stashed somewhere but I don't know (yet?) what he wants to do with them.

I see that Unicraft has produced a P.1030 plastic kit. No idea if Type 391 has been done in plastic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60769956@N02/8990102090/sizes/c/

Flyer

Nice.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Captain Canada

Very cool. Looks like a mini Spearfish ?

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TsrJoe

re the Supermarine Type 391, I thought initially it was an easy build using an Spiteful/Attacker wing and scaled drawings accordingly, I found however the aircraft seems to be a bit bigger in overall size, my model I thought to scale actually measuring out at 1/80 :o

oops, cheers, Joe  :banghead:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

perttime

Quote from: TsrJoe on September 22, 2016, 04:20:54 AM
re the Supermarine Type 391, I thought initially it was an easy build using an Spiteful/Attacker wing and scaled drawings accordingly, I found however the aircraft seems to be a bit bigger in overall size, my model I thought to scale actually measuring out at 1/80 :o

oops, cheers, Joe  :banghead:
Wikipedia says:
"The 391 used the Spiteful/Seafang wing and undercarriage mated to a wide centre-section incorporating leading edge air intakes"

Type 391 was supposed to be bigger. So you'd need to add a new centre section to get the wing right. I haven't compared drawings to see where the additional length is.

Seafang:
Length: 34 ft 1 in (10.39 m)
Wingspan: 35 ft 0 in (10.67 m)
Height: 12 ft 6½ in (3.82 m)
Wing area: 210 ft² (19.5 m²)

Spiteful
Length: 32 ft 11 in (10.03 m)
Wingspan: 35 ft 0 in (10.67 m)
Height: 13 ft 5 in (4.09 m)
Wing area: 210 ft² (19.5 m²)

Type 391
length of 39 ft 9 in (12.1 m)
wingspan of 43 ft 6 in (13.3 m)
Wing area of 335 ft² (31.2 m²)

KiwiZac

I like it. What a neat-looking beast!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Wooksta!

Those figures for the length of the Seafang/Spiteful are out.  They're the same fuselage with the only difference being a sting hook for the 'fang.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

And it didn't use the same undercarriage either, the legs were longer and the wheels retracted into the fuselage vertically, like the Bristol 188 does.  Just look at the 3-View to see what I mean.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

andrewj

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 22, 2016, 03:49:27 PM
Those figures for the length of the Seafang/Spiteful are out.  They're the same fuselage with the only difference being a sting hook for the 'fang.

You're forgetting the contra-prop on the Seafang , this and the tail hook would give much of the extra length .

Andrew

Captain Canada

It's happened again, come back to read the replies and see pics that weren't visible the last time ? Great shot of HR-W !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?