No pictures for now but I'm proceeding on ahead and so far so good with the repair work! I did manage to screw up the placement of the tape when I put it down to protect some of the finish when I went nuclear on the fin area with the wire wheel. The awesome news here is that the finish is coming along and will look good... should be nice and smooth. Not perfect, but certainly not bad.
Now, I need to get in there and clean up where I had the tape.. the paint build up at the edge and there's a raised line of paint there so I'm going to open up and use my sanding sticks that I bought like 4 months ago. Damn things are expensive.. but I got them at 40% off so weren't bad about about $14.. but anyway..... there are 5 sticks (or 4...) with 10 extra belts for each so it's great having these and I'll need them to sand down these lines without butchering the rest of the finish.
I have to glue on the tail planes again, of course, but I'm thinking that should go much better and more swiftly this time since I'm working with nice clean, smooth surfaces again.
I plan on 2 hours tops fixing this paint up then it's in for a gloss coat. I can let that sit for an hour then start in decaling the plane. Not sure if you're supposed to put them on so soon after but I did it before and it seems to have not hurt anything so.... boy am I glad my gloss coat dries to touch quickly! After just an hour I can pick it up and handle it with no worries.
Around 5 or so I'll crack open a beer and start transfers then by 7 I should have started on gluing all the last little widgets and stuff on.
At least, this is the plan!