A little help required...

Started by strobez, April 22, 2019, 01:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

The crew here has helped me identify tanks, trains and planes... so why not a helicopter?

I was plotting out some future 1/144 Area 88-related builds and I thought about doing one that depicts the scene following Saki's demise and Shin's dramatic rescue via a SH-3 Seaking helicopter.  So I went out and got the very nice AFV kit and then when I was looking at the reference pic from the manga... I noticed the 'copter in the story has... 4 wheels.  I can't really find anything via google research, so I'm turning it over the membership.  Is this artistic license? A little-known variant? Or am I completely out to lunch in my helicopter spotting...?

Any helpful comments (or at least funny ones) will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg

Scotaidh

There is a variant of the Sikorsky Sea King, the US Coast Guard's HH-3F "Pelican", that has a retractable nose-wheel instead of a fixed tail wheel.  Also, Augusta makes (made?) a version of this for the Italian military. 

However, a Google-image search shows no versions with both tail and nose wheels.  I'd say it was a case of "artistic license", or possibly "artistic confusion."  :)  I suspect it was a case of making it different enough visually to not cause a Cease & Desist order - "preventive artistic license."  ;)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

scooter

Your safest bet is the "artistic license" route.  And the Pelican (which is also the basis for the HH-3) is a different beast altogether from the Sea King.  Personally, I'd stick with a stock SH-3 King.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

I never would have noticed the extra wheel ! Strange for sure probably just a mistake.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

I'm sure the artist just got a little carried away! :unsure:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Spey_Phantom

obviously an artistic addon, afaik, Sea Kings have no middle wheel.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Old Wombat

Sea King, with nose wheel added.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

Heh... I'm glad you asked... 'cause I don't see it either. ;)
Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

Sorry, my bad! I meant that the manga illustration was of a Sea King with a nose wheel added, not the photo (which is of a Sea king).

BTW, you may notice that the illustrations are inconsistent because, where the 1st illustration has the nose wheel, the illustration at the top of the 2nd-last panel shows a radome/similar.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 22, 2019, 04:41:36 PM

BTW, you may notice that the illustrations are inconsistent because, where the 1st illustration has the nose wheel, the illustration at the top of the 2nd-last panel shows a radome/similar.

Perhaps the wheel is retracted in that view?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 22, 2019, 04:59:51 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on April 22, 2019, 04:41:36 PM

Perhaps the wheel is retracted in that view?

Probably, but the wheel well & the dome occupy the same place on the aircraft, which is where the (avionics?) dome is on the real Sea King.

Dizzyfugu

To me it looks like a creative mistake - as if the artist had originally planned to draw a HH-3 but then reverted to the conventional layout with a tail wheel? I'd book it under artistic freedom, though.

strobez

Alright, given the consensus that seems to have been arrived at by the group, I'm calling this one "artistic liberties" and leaving it at that.  I will continue on my merry way with my AMV 1/144 Sea King kit and forget I ever saw a fourth wheel...
Thanks!

Greg

Scotaidh

Quote from: strobez on April 23, 2019, 07:50:21 PM
Alright, given the consensus that seems to have been arrived at by the group, I'm calling this one "artistic liberties" and leaving it at that.  I will continue on my merry way with my AMV 1/144 Sea King kit and forget I ever saw a fourth wheel...

Oh - I  thought you were going to build it "as seen in the manga" and your question was related only to the real thing as a point of curiosity/information.  :) 

I'd visualized the four-legged Sea King poised above the picture - featuring all four legs - on the stand. 

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."