B&V 155

Started by NARSES2, April 07, 2019, 06:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Blohm Voss BV 155B of Special Reconnaissance Group Aachen late 1944.

Originally starting life as a  Messerschmitt project its development was eventually taken over by Blohm and Voss and was intended as a high altitude fighter capable of intercepting the USAAF's B-29 bombers. However Richard Voght considered the aircraft to be so poorly designed that he completely redesigned it which resulted in even more delays to the project.

However in July/August 1944 two prototypes were completed and the hastily converted into high altitude reconnaissance aircraft by the installation of a Rb 50/30 camera behind the cockpit and the provision of a hastily converted underwing camera pod which could carry a variety of different cameras and their lens attachments. This was converted from spare Me110 "drop tanks".

Despite the fact that this camera pod reduced the aircraft's operational altitude from a projected 50,000 feet to nearer 47,000 feet this still rendered the type virtually invulnerable to interception as the allies had nothing, especially in theatre, with which to intercept them. Thus they proceeded to operate over the Port of Antwerp keeping an eye on what the Allies were bringing in and also providing after action damage reports for the large number of V1's and V2's which were launched against the city.

However in the end it was this seeming invulnerability which caused the downfall of the operation. The Luftwaffe's operations became so regular that the RAF could almost set their watches by them. Thus 4 Westland Welkin's were flown over from the two squadrons operating them in the UK and a trap was laid. The Welkin could reach the necessary altitude with some modification and thus on one bright December morning a pair of them were waiting for the regular interloper. After what one of the Welkin pilots latter described as a rather strange, slow motion, balletic combat the 155 was eventually shot down and this ended the types operations over the city.

The remaining aircraft was withdrawn and apart from some sorties over the Ardennes saw no further action. It was eventually captured by British forces south of Hamburg in April 1945.

In the real world one prototype was eventually completed and tested. This was then captured by the British in 1945 never having got any farther then these initial test flights

This is the Special Hobby kit of the prototype and it goes together brilliantly. I can't praise its fit and ease of assembly high enough. Transfers are from the kit and the spares box, whilst the paints are my usual Xtracrylic and Humbrol. Special Hobby now do the planned fighter version boxing of this aircraft and I may well be getting it I enjoyed the build that much.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Very nice Chris, I live the long wings (naturally......) and the PR conversion.

Very similar to my Martin Baker MB8 Marlin....  ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Unlike our friend above, I'm not a major fan of very long wings but, still, a good build is a good build. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Dizzyfugu

Very cool, I like the simple RLM 74/75/76 splinter scheme a lot.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 07, 2019, 05:54:53 PM
Unlike our friend above, I'm not a major fan of very long wings

There certainly a p.i.a. when handling the thing that's for sure  :-\

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 08, 2019, 02:02:10 AM
Very cool, I like the simple RLM 74/75/76 splinter scheme a lot.

Yes, I think it works on this build particularly well for some reason.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 08, 2019, 06:36:24 AM

There certainly a p.i.a. when handling the thing that's for sure  :-\

Have no fear, you'll soon get used to it.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Great build Chris.  Looks fab.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

chrisonord

Marvelous Chris :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Army of One

That looks pretty good....like the scheme and recon pod.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Tophe

I am very happy that you built the Zwilling Bv-255 as well !
BUT... be careful, Superglue is gluing fingers too!:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

ericr

NARSES2

Thanks lads.

Tophe, you are a magician. That really works and is probably far more practical then the real one  ;D :thumbsup:

dumaniac