Author Topic: PZL 42  (Read 317 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
PZL 42
« on: April 07, 2019, 05:55:32 am »
A PZL 42 of the 51st Line Squadron, 5th Air Regiment, Lida September 1939.

This is the IBG Models kit of this prototype which was looked at as a replacement for the more well-known PZL 23 Karas in the light bomber, reconnaissance role, although it never entered production. The main visible changes between this and the Karas was the twin tail and the lack of the under fuselage gondola.

To be honest I struggled a bit with this kit. Nothing to do with the kit as it’s highly detailed and has excellent fit although parts could be considered a little on the “fussy” side, but unfortunately I was building it when I was still trying to come to terms with my ongoing eye problem and how that was effecting my modelling. Never the less I was impressed enough by its quality to go out and buy a couple more IBG kits.

It’s finished with paints mainly from Hataka’s specific Polish Air Force September 1939 set and the transfers, apart from a couple of the kits, come from the Techmod PZL 23B Karas sheet.

Decals my @r$e!

Online Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
Re: PZL 42
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:11:08 am »
Pretty - I don't know why some people slag this aircraft (and the PZL 23) off as ugly, but then I like A-10s too...

I've got one of these: if I ever get around to building it, it'll be Spanish Civil War Republican.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline Tophe

• my what-if models
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:56:50 am »
Twin-fin is not as delicious as twin-boom but it is already a great improvement from the sad "normal" ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 01:47:50 pm »

...... and the lack of the under fuselage gondola.

And that's all to the better to my mind.

And I'm one of those who slag off the 23, mainly because it looks like it was designed by 2-3 different committees, none of whom talked to each other.  :banghead:
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 05:50:35 pm »
Polish aircraft always look quaintly dated but I have trouble seeing past the faecal-brown colour they painted them. :unsure:

Nice job, Chris, wonky eyesight or not. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline comrade harps

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • Nearly vegan.
    • season creep
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 02:47:28 am »
 :thumbsup:

Which gets me thinking: I do have an IBG PZL-23 in the stash and had been wondering about removing the rather unsightful gondola. I'll have to take a closer look at the modlings.
Member of the Deluded Dozen, the Blue Rose Society and Peninsula Poets.

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 06:42:42 am »

I've got one of these: if I ever get around to building it, it'll be Spanish Civil War Republican.

If you do H make sure you have a new blade in your scalpel or whatever you use. Some of the parts are very delicate and attached to the main sprue by 3/4 quite slender gates. That's part of what I mean by "fussy".

And I'm one of those who slag off the 23, mainly because it looks like it was designed by 2-3 different committees, none of whom talked to each other.  :banghead:

Certainly looks as though the army and air force were involved. Navy obviously didn't get the invite  ;D

but I have trouble seeing past the faecal-brown colour they painted them. :unsure:

And there were two different shades. One for bombers and the other for fighters/recce types.  The guy's at Hataka provide both in their paint set
Decals my @r$e!

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 06:43:50 am »

Which gets me thinking: I do have an IBG PZL-23 in the stash and had been wondering about removing the rather unsightful gondola. I'll have to take a closer look at the modlings.

I did that with the old Heller kit a while ago. For all its age it's a nice kit  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 04:52:43 am »
Very nice.  Looks to me like a cross between a Lysander and a Mitsubishi Ki-15 and something with a twin tail.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”