PZL 42

Started by NARSES2, April 07, 2019, 05:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

A PZL 42 of the 51st Line Squadron, 5th Air Regiment, Lida September 1939.

This is the IBG Models kit of this prototype which was looked at as a replacement for the more well-known PZL 23 Karas in the light bomber, reconnaissance role, although it never entered production. The main visible changes between this and the Karas was the twin tail and the lack of the under fuselage gondola.

To be honest I struggled a bit with this kit. Nothing to do with the kit as it's highly detailed and has excellent fit although parts could be considered a little on the "fussy" side, but unfortunately I was building it when I was still trying to come to terms with my ongoing eye problem and how that was effecting my modelling. Never the less I was impressed enough by its quality to go out and buy a couple more IBG kits.

It's finished with paints mainly from Hataka's specific Polish Air Force September 1939 set and the transfers, apart from a couple of the kits, come from the Techmod PZL 23B Karas sheet.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Pretty - I don't know why some people slag this aircraft (and the PZL 23) off as ugly, but then I like A-10s too...

I've got one of these: if I ever get around to building it, it'll be Spanish Civil War Republican.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Twin-fin is not as delicious as twin-boom but it is already a great improvement from the sad "normal" ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 07, 2019, 05:55:32 AM

...... and the lack of the under fuselage gondola.

And that's all to the better to my mind.

And I'm one of those who slag off the 23, mainly because it looks like it was designed by 2-3 different committees, none of whom talked to each other.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Polish aircraft always look quaintly dated but I have trouble seeing past the faecal-brown colour they painted them. :unsure:

Nice job, Chris, wonky eyesight or not. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

comrade harps

:thumbsup:

Which gets me thinking: I do have an IBG PZL-23 in the stash and had been wondering about removing the rather unsightful gondola. I'll have to take a closer look at the modlings.
Whatever.

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on April 07, 2019, 09:11:08 AM

I've got one of these: if I ever get around to building it, it'll be Spanish Civil War Republican.

If you do H make sure you have a new blade in your scalpel or whatever you use. Some of the parts are very delicate and attached to the main sprue by 3/4 quite slender gates. That's part of what I mean by "fussy".

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 07, 2019, 01:47:50 PM

And I'm one of those who slag off the 23, mainly because it looks like it was designed by 2-3 different committees, none of whom talked to each other.  :banghead:

Certainly looks as though the army and air force were involved. Navy obviously didn't get the invite  ;D

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 07, 2019, 05:50:35 PM
but I have trouble seeing past the faecal-brown colour they painted them. :unsure:

And there were two different shades. One for bombers and the other for fighters/recce types.  The guy's at Hataka provide both in their paint set
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: comrade harps on April 08, 2019, 02:47:28 AM

Which gets me thinking: I do have an IBG PZL-23 in the stash and had been wondering about removing the rather unsightful gondola. I'll have to take a closer look at the modlings.

I did that with the old Heller kit a while ago. For all its age it's a nice kit  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Very nice.  Looks to me like a cross between a Lysander and a Mitsubishi Ki-15 and something with a twin tail.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

Chris brought this to the Milton Keynes show the other week and I must say it's a great build.  Please take it to SMW this year!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Tophe

This model is great, yes, but... how was it possible to take this picture? holding the camera with the nose and pressing the Shoot switch with the tongue? ;)

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/pzl42z.jpg
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Time delay............. ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

That is a very competent piece of work!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

Nice build Chris of a chunky flying machine.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.