Rockwell FAR-X (Flettner Air Rotor -Experimental)

Started by 63cpe, March 19, 2019, 03:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Will post the usual opening shot of the parts and inbuilt kit at the beginning later. Bit excited as in finally made some progress in this project. I finally found the correct sized tubes! They're essential for this build! anyway here the first glimpse:

IMG_20190319_231722651 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Anyone recognizes an academy ov-10. The brown blob's are the PT6 engines borrowed from an Twin Otter. :unsure:

Really not sure if it will make the deadline in time but who dares, wins...

David aka 63cpe

63cpe

Found the starting pictures back again on the phone. So, This is how it started...

IMG_20190320_090658521 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

I started early this morning to make good progress. And progress was made!
The aluminum tube was cut in 4 pieces of 10 centimeters, ends were sanded smooth. Boring job was to cut 16 round plates from 0,75 mm styrene sheet. 8 of those are used as end plates of the tubes, the other 8 are cut again. This time a 20mm circle in the middle of the plates were made and presto! The first testfit for the rotors was successful (see left hand side of picture). Also cut out the main carriers for the for and aft set of rotors.
IMG_20190320_101436195 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

All rotors almost finished. Main carriers for the for and aft set of rotors in front:
IMG_20190320_113019451 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

all rotors finished and rotors attached to main carriers. Rotors are able to rotate!:
IMG_20190320_123818278 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
With the Flettner rotors in front of the fuselage it definitely look like a combine!

After some test fitting the pillars on the Bronco's fuselage proved to be to low. Now the front rotors touch the upper canopy. So remove the pillars and made me new ones. The aft set of rotors are going to be put higher than the set in front to make the best use of undisturbed airflow.

Next up are the engines. they are to be put just in front of the forward set of rotors.

For any further reading over Flettner rotors and its use on aircraft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flettner_airplane
And a video proving the concept is able to fly! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlmvHfIAszo

David aka 63cpe

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

jalles

That is so not what I was imaging from your initial post. What a crazy and wonderful idea!  :thumbsup:

kerick

I thought I had seen some strange flying machines but this takes the cake!!
Definitely a concept I had never seen before! I'll love to see this one come along.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

I have heard of the Flettner wing system, but that video of the R/C model is magic.  :wub:
This model certainly fits the title of this GB perfectly.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

loupgarou

Fantastic idea. What a weird concept.  :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Flettner wings are possibly a solution in search of a problem.  I wonder what effect on the handling the gyro forces from the spinning cylinders would have?  Maybe something unexpected a skilled pilot could use in combat?
I like it.  Can't wait to see more.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Destroying a twin-boom layout is acute heresy, but here: the result is very nice, all right! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

jcf

63cpe

Yep, lift is generated by the Magnus effect.

Now the fuselage is ready for the spray booth, let's test fit the contraption:
IMG_20190322_195743443 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20190322_195829641 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20190322_195900925 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20190322_195915541 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20190322_195920234 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20190322_195936238 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

The protruding beam upfront is the main engine carrier. It'll end in a beam across carrying two PT6 engines from a Twinotter on each side just in front of the frontal rotor.

Hope you like it!
David aka 63cpe

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

That looks truly awesome.  :thumbsup:

Do the multiple 'rotor discs' spread along the 'span' improve the lift?

The Flettner rotors used on ships only seem to have one disc, right at the top of the rotor.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 22, 2019, 04:09:50 PM
That looks truly awesome.  :thumbsup:

Do the multiple 'rotor discs' spread along the 'span' improve the lift?

The Flettner rotors used on ships only seem to have one disc, right at the top of the rotor.

I'd assume that the disks prevent the air, traveling over the rotors from "spreading" and the direction of lift being lost.  Not such a problem on a ship with a vertical rotor but more important on an aircraft.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.