Author Topic: RSAF Goshawk  (Read 1124 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: RSAF Goshawk
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 07:37:40 am »
Yup best of luck
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 02:13:31 am »
Neither I nor the bloke who made the decals for me can work out why the ones he sent me aren't working.  I've tried cold water, warm water, and hot water, and they refuse to separate.  Never quite met this before.

However, I just got the latest Micro Mark catalogue - featuring a decal-making set-up for ink-jet printers.  :)  It's now on order.  When it arrives I'll have a go at re-making them. 
Ancient Ogre Proverb:
"It's dark in the dark when it's dark."

Offline Tophe

• my what-if models
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 03:15:51 am »
What I am wainting for the most is not decals/roundels but the canopy, giving this aircraft its full (wonderful  :wub: ) silhouette. I hope there will be a canopy :unsure: ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 04:05:54 am »
Some decal paper manufacturers have very variable quality control, as I've found to my disgust. I've sent more than one pack back and demanded replacement for exactly that reason.

Some don't mark the actual paper to show which is clear or white, which is a REAL pain. I write 'W' or 'C' on the reverse of all my sheets these days.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 06:09:01 am »
Neither I nor the bloke who made the decals for me can work out why the ones he sent me aren't working.  I've tried cold water, warm water, and hot water, and they refuse to separate.  Never quite met this before.

I've never, to my knowledge, used home made transfers, but I have had this happen with some very, very old kit transfers from the collection. When I say old they are probably 30/40 years old or more . Others of the same vintage, and the same manufacturer of kits, work fine  :-X
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 12:30:00 pm »
What I am wainting for the most is not decals/roundels but the canopy, giving this aircraft its full (wonderful  :wub: ) silhouette. I hope there will be a canopy :unsure: ;)

There will indeed be a canopy, my friend - but I spray a matte clear-coat over the decals to seal them to the model.  I don't want to have to mask the canopy.  :)  I'm lazy that way. 

It's why I use a brush instead of spraying - I very seldom have to mask anything.  :)
Ancient Ogre Proverb:

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 12:33:04 pm »
Thanks, Kit, for the tip. I'll watch out for that clear/white bit.

I tried making some home transfers once, using the same printer that I have now.  It didn't work.

If I can't get anything to work, then as a last resort I'm just going to cut out the decals and glue them on.  That will be a pain, so I hope it doesn't come to that.
Ancient Ogre Proverb:

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #22 on: Today at 06:43:35 am »
I ended up just making up some national markings in Paint.  I printed them out on paper, cut them out with an Xacto knife (new blade), and glued them on.  I also used the non-country specific decals from the kit - you know, "Rescue", etc. 

I used white glue (Elmer's) for the paper decals and Solvaset over all.  A coat of Gloss and another of Matte - because of rain and high humidity outside I reluctantly sprayed indoors in the basement, where I have a fan and a dehumidifier going.  I still got high as a kite, so it's not all bad!  ;)  Just kidding - it sucked.

Pictures soon.
Ancient Ogre Proverb: