Armstrong Whitworth Siskin, No 2 Squadron Royal Scots Airforce, Abbotsinch 1936

Started by Doug K, February 21, 2019, 03:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

SO, I'm back to my old alternate history of Scotland and Ireland becoming independent dominions (Like Canada & Australia) in the 1920s following the Home Rule bill passing just prior to WW1 starting in 1915. http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,40383.msg754353.html#msg754353

As part of the mutual defence pact between the nations of the British Isles, initially there was no rush to set up a separate Scottish Airforce (Ireland was quicker off the mark). However, as was usual there was a growing need to create a greater independence of forces. This was manifest through the 1930s and a gradual process of replacing RAF units began. The first fighters acquired were (unsurprisingly) second-hand from the RAF and the Siskin was the most numerous. Underpowered and out of date they gave the fledgling airforce it's first two squadrons, No1 (City of Edinburgh) and No 2 (City of Glasgow) and were rapidly replaced in the latter half of the 30s and early 40s under rapid rearmament following the Imperial declaration of war in 1939.

The marking too were work in progress for the fledgling service.

So, to the model, it's the ancient Matchbox kit of course, and is the first biplane I've built in over 30 years. I also attempted rigging for the first time simplified slightly (a forth coming Gladiator will be more complex). I'm used to rigging ships, I usually have more room for error - as the photos show!

IMG_1492 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1495 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1494 by doug_alba, on Flickr

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That's nice! I esp. like the yin/yang symbols on the wheels (as a nod to the A5M's roundels).  :thumbsup:

TallEng

:thumbsup:
Looks good.
just goes to show that the old Matchbox Siskin still makes up nicely.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 21, 2019, 07:30:29 AM
That's nice! I esp. like the yin/yang symbols on the wheels (as a nod to the A5M's roundels).  :thumbsup:

Thanks, yeah, I'm trying for a coherent (?!) back story for the others that I've shared here before!

PR19_Kit

A cracking aeroplane, the Siskin.  :thumbsup:

If I was ever tempted to build another biplane, it'd be a Siskin.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2019, 12:15:34 PM

It's just all the "knitting" that goes with biplanes.......
The Gladiator is next and I have a Stranraer in the stash

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Doug K on February 21, 2019, 01:23:36 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2019, 12:15:34 PM

It's just all the "knitting" that goes with biplanes.......
The Gladiator is next and I have a Stranraer in the stash

Exactly!  :o

This is the Audax I did for my Dad for his 80th birthday, the first, and so far last, biplane I've ever completed.

Rather you than me with the Stranraer, it's HUGE compared to the Audax!

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TallEng on February 21, 2019, 08:30:03 AM
Looks good.

Regards
Keith

The Matchbox Gladiator and the Fury are really nice kits, too. Many people may criticize the MAtchbox kits for their simplicity or the dreaded trenches, but what they REALLY got well are fabric structures. The small biplanes are top, and the Matchbox Wellington (as well as the Wellesley) have the best representations of the geodetic structure I have seen so far, despite more modern alternatives.

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 22, 2019, 12:15:45 AM
Quote from: TallEng on February 21, 2019, 08:30:03 AM
Looks good.

Regards
Keith

The Matchbox Gladiator and the Fury are really nice kits, too. Many people may criticize the MAtchbox kits for their simplicity or the dreaded trenches, but what they REALLY got well are fabric structures. The small biplanes are top, and the Matchbox Wellington (as well as the Wellesley) have the best representations of the geodetic structure I have seen so far, despite more modern alternatives.

I agree, no trenches required on fabric and they do go together well. The Airfix Gladiator is another league however (and so is the rigging diagram!)

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Good job there.   :thumbsup:

Matchbox Siskin, Fury and Wellesley are on my want list but unfortunately they seem to have attracted the attention of The Collectors with the associated price rises.
The whole between the wars period is under-represented in (the one true) scale IMO.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2019, 04:05:06 PM

The whole between the wars period is under-represented in (the one true) scale IMO.

Totally agree mate, at least in injection moulded plastic anyway.

Mind you I've had an unfinished Eduard Avia 534 almost finished for ages. The problem has been getting the top wing to attach securely to the scale interplane struts  :banghead: I've even got the etch rigging set for it. Mind you now I have been pointed in the direction of the Loctite superglue pens (thanks Mike  :thumbsup:) I might have another go.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Doug K

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 23, 2019, 02:26:17 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2019, 04:05:06 PM

Totally agree mate, at least in injection moulded plastic anyway.

Mind you I've had an unfinished Eduard Avia 534 almost finished for ages. The problem has been getting the top wing to attach securely to the scale interplane struts  :banghead: I've even got the etch rigging set for it. Mind you now I have been pointed in the direction of the Loctite superglue pens (thanks Mike  :thumbsup:) I might have another go.

Loctite pens? That's a good idea.