Interstellar Exploration Vessel, "Roald Amundsen"

Started by Ed S, February 10, 2019, 04:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

This is the Roald Amundsen, CR 207. Solar Federation Navy Interstellar Science Vessel, Explorer Class. It is docked at Jupiter Station prior to it's first mission. Powered by 4 GE/RR NPCR-43 fusion powered ion drives engines, it is capable of sustained thrust at .20g. With the newly developed Hyperjump system, it is one of the first ships capable of interstellar missions. Designed for multiyear missions, it is fully self contained with research facilities, manufacturing and repair, food production, etc. A number of shuttles are part of it's complement. These provide couriers, supply, exploration, and other missions. There is one large SM-34t fully equipped laboratory and exploration shuttle capable of atmospheric missions to planets of up to 1.75 Earth gravity. A there also two courier shuttles capable of atmospheric missions. Twelve BL-234 cargo pods are attached externally. Loaded with consumable supplies, these can be turned into manned laboratories orbiting planets of interest.

I just finished this up. It was my contribution to the Everyday Objects GB over on BTS. Here are some of the everyday objects that were incorporated into this model.

This photo shows a large gray Plastruct cylinder, some containers from "Kinder Eggs", sewing thread spools, old "L'eggs" panty hose eggs, and some cheap BIC razers. The large shuttle was from an old 50's space exploration kit. (don't recall who made this one)

This is what started the whole project. An asthma inhaler (actually several of these).

And if you are interested, some of the build photos are on the BTS site.  http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8271.45

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Now THAT'S ingenious building Ed.  :thumbsup:

The use of the asthma inhalers is inspired, it always irks me to just throw them away when they're empty.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Absolutely stunning build Ed!!  I love a good Sci-Fi build and this one is up there with the best! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kerick

This one blows me away! Just inspired use of so many things.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

Nice one: that looks really good. :thumbsup:

The shuttle is the Convair concept shuttle made by Revell in 1959: http://fantastic-plastic.com/convair-space-shuttle-by-revell.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!