Prone Jet Dive Bomber

Started by NARSES2, February 07, 2019, 06:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Hs 132A of KG 51

This is the RS model of the proposed Hs 132A dive bomber, they also do the B which had a different engine and 2 times 20mm canon and which I also have in the stash. It goes together very well and the canopy in particular is a nice fit. Probably an ideal introduction to limited run for those who haven't ventured thus.

No great back story for this other than I decided I wanted to reflect the fact that this aircraft may well have been assembled from parts built in many small factories scattered all over what was left of the Reich. Therefore she is painted in the following manner :-

Wings – Underside Hataka RLM 76 (originally I was going to do them in natural metal, but then found out they were wood), upper surface RLM 81 and 82.

Fuselage – Underside Xtracrylic RLM 76 (to try and show different production sites, and there is a very small difference in colour...honest), upper surface RLM 82 and 83.

Tail unit – Undersides RLM 65 (the factory ran out of 76 and used what was to hand), upper surface and fins RLM 81 and 82.

Engine pod – Overall RLM 02 with a dark green smoke ring camouflage applied to it (obviously some Italian labour in the paint shop)

So an enjoyable project and I shall probably do the B model in a maritime strike scheme to reflect what the original design specification requested.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Charlie_c67

:thumbsup:

Wouldn't fancy getting out of that in a hurry with the engine running though!
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

PR19_Kit

Good looking aircraft and a good looking model too Chris.  :thumbsup:

Great idea about the multiple colour schemes.  :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Nice build, and YES, the multiple colour schemes is an interesting and plausible idea.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Flyer on February 07, 2019, 09:05:22 AM

That raises a interesting question, was there any means of escape from a prone position aircraft?  :unsure:

The poor pilot of the prone pilot Meteor was supposed to jettison the canopy, which covered most of him, and then lever himself up into the windstream and jump over the side. Ignoring the Derwent intake a few feet to one side and just behind him of course.

Meanwhile his conventionally seated colleague had an ejection seat.............  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

The build is excellent ; well done Chris!

Not, however, an aircraft I'd like to fly. Leaving the machine in flight, even with the advantage of a Martin Baker spring loaded  whoopee cushion would get you perilously close to the jet intake.  Definitely a Leonidas Squadron sort of affair https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_Squadron
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Tophe

Great! :thumbsup:
Do you have a He-162 to show them together, featuring the differences and similarities? :unsure: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Damn, dude, that's awesome!!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Looks good Chris.

Had you maybe thought that if the left wing and right wing were manufactured in different plants then they too could be different colours?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Nice one Chris.  :thumbsup:
It's funny how, despite all the different colour schemes, it looks right for the period. Even correct Luftwaffe schemes for that era could be a bit 'bitty'.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 07, 2019, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: Flyer on February 07, 2019, 09:05:22 AM

That raises a interesting question, was there any means of escape from a prone position aircraft?  :unsure:

The poor pilot of the prone pilot Meteor was supposed to jettison the canopy, which covered most of him, and then lever himself up into the windstream and jump over the side. Ignoring the Derwent intake a few feet to one side and just behind him of course.

Meanwhile his conventionally seated colleague had an ejection seat.............  :o

Well that's silly. Obviously the nose section should have pivoted upwards through 180 deg so that the wind blast could blow him straight out backwards ...into... ...the... ...tail surfaces... ...oh.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Cheers lads.

As for getting out in a hurry ? I've no idea if that had even been considered by Henschel, but the simplest solution I would of thought would have been to drop out, or be fired out, the bottom of the cockpit ? Not much use if you have a problem on take off I know but seems the only way it could have been done.

Quote from: Tophe on February 07, 2019, 10:52:13 AM
Great! :thumbsup:
Do you have a He-162 to show them together, featuring the differences and similarities? :unsure: ;D

I do indeed Tophe. I'll try and sort them out.

Quote from: zenrat on February 08, 2019, 01:59:40 AM

Had you maybe thought that if the left wing and right wing were manufactured in different plants then they too could be different colours?

No I hadn't thought of that. Maybe on the B model. One wing to use 81 and 82 the other to use the earlier greens or maybe the maritime colours. This could become a quiz subject....name the colours  ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 08, 2019, 06:51:01 AM

This could become a quiz subject....name the colours  ;D ;D

Somewhere I just bet there's a whole forum just about RLM colours.

The only problem is that there won't be any words to read, it'll all be in numbers!  ;D ;D ;) ;)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 08, 2019, 07:56:06 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 08, 2019, 06:51:01 AM

This could become a quiz subject....name the colours  ;D ;D

Somewhere I just bet there's a whole forum just about RLM colours.

The only problem is that there won't be any words to read, it'll all be in numbers!  ;D ;D ;) ;)

And every member will have a different opinion about the colours!  :banghead: :banghead: ;D ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.