Author Topic: Tornado retirement Theme Build general discussion.  (Read 415 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Tornado retirement Theme Build general discussion.
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:37:45 am »
Right this is the place for any general chat about the TB.

First as this is a Theme Build then there really are no rules as such, especially when compared to Group Builds. So for this one there is one rule and one guideline.

The Rule ? Your build must involve a Panavia Tornado of some kind be it a variation on a real world variant or a development of the type, that existed on paper or indeed just in your brain.

The Guideline ? As we are using the build to to commemorate the Tornado's many years of active service it would be nice to get the builds completed by it's RAF retirement date - 31/3/19, but that's only a target.

Enjoy your builds

Chris
Decals my @r$e!

Offline kerick

Re: Tornado retirement Theme Build general discussion.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:55:59 am »
I'm still kicking around an idea for a Canadian F.3 in 1/72nd scale. Just seems to make more sense as an interceptor than an F-18. So, considering the other Canadian ideas in motion for this TB there seems to be a need for Canadian decals. Might I suggest; http://www.canuckmodels.com/
I haven't tried this manufacturer so any input concerning quality and customer service would be helpful.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline Lord_Voyager

• Out of the Whiffing Closet
  • Believes that cats secretly rule the world...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:03 am »
canuckdecals are ok, but /belcherbits decals are superior.

http://www.belcherbits.com/

Offline Gondor

• What-IF SIG
  • Builds Slower Than A Glacier Moves
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 02:45:42 pm »
In the original thread thete was the mention of the "EF3" sudgested as an enhanced version of the unofficial entitled version of the F3. This reminded me of a Hasegawa F3 I have put aside to build as the "EF3" so I may build it as an entry for this build. The model is started but only the rear fuselage has been put together which still leaves a lot to do.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Offline Leading Observer

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • Observation - The most enduring of life's pleasure
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 03:55:00 pm »
Right this is the place for any general chat about the TB.

First as this is a Theme Build then there really are no rules as such, especially when compared to Group Builds. So for this one there is one rule and one guideline.

The Rule ? Your build must involve a Panavia Tornado of some kind be it a variation on a real world variant or a development of the type, that existed on paper or indeed just in your brain.

The Guideline ? As we are using the build to to commemorate the Tornado's many years of active service it would be nice to get the builds completed by it's RAF retirement date - 31/3/19, but that's only a target.

Enjoy your builds

Chris

Thinking hat on ;D
LO

Forewarned is Forearmed

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:48:53 am »
I'm still kicking around an idea for a Canadian F.3 in 1/72nd scale. Just seems to make more sense as an interceptor than an F-18. So, considering the other Canadian ideas in motion for this TB there seems to be a need for Canadian decals. Might I suggest; http://www.canuckmodels.com/
I haven't tried this manufacturer so any input concerning quality and customer service would be helpful.

Bear in mind that their overseas shipping is by surface mail only, which takes 4-8 weeks.
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 01:34:45 am »

Excellent stuff. I procured several sheets from them (e. g. for CF-101, CF-188 and CT-133), and all these were/are top notch. Thin carrier film, perfect register, good documentation.

Another good source for Canadian aftermarket sheets is Leading Edge decals.

Online zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 01:54:46 am »
I need to have the MRCA kit in my hands and then match the other wings up before I make the decision but I will be building either a Tornatom/Phanado or a Tornagle/Eanado...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:58:26 am by zenrat »
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 05:50:15 am »
Hm, I have an original MRCA kit somewhere too, one that was never destined to be built once the pukka Tonka kits came out. Maybe it will now?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Weaver

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 11:00:40 pm »
Hm, I have an original MRCA kit somewhere too, one that was never destined to be built once the pukka Tonka kits came out. Maybe it will now?

You could do it as an 'accurate to the original artwork' job, which is always amusing, especially if the artwork is black and white.... :wacko:
Principia Discordia

Offline Weaver

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 04:19:44 am »
AeroplaneDriver posted a link to this article on the other thread:
http://airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2019/January%202019/Red-Air-Rising.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0dKBipy5VZEICeRg5o4AhEtSR1UEbV2PXtdweE2PfUb3Hm1FH281DHUGk

Now that got me wondering: what if one (or several) of these private adversary-air contractors bought some RAF Tornados to give the USAF a good workout against something that can credibly simulate an Su-24 or a Xian JH-7?

Draken International markings here: https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/RNZAF-current-a-c.html (scroll down) Sheets for Skyhawks and Mb-339s in 1/48th, 1/72nd and 1/144th scales.

Also from the other thread: display teams. What if the RAF didn't amalgamate all it's teams into one in the 1960s, or subsequently revered that decision? You might see an international Tornado display team organised out of the TTTE for the purposes of helping to sell the aircraft, or you might see national teams/flights if their air forces allowed it. Endless scope for non-grey/green creativity.... :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:22:14 am by Weaver »
Principia Discordia

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 02:40:31 pm »
I've got a 72nd scale and a pair of 144ths somewhere in my never ending pile of half-builts. Good excuse right here !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline kerick

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 09:30:09 pm »
http://airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2019/January%202019/Red-Air-Rising.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0dKBipy5VZEICeRg5o4AhEtSR1UEbV2PXtdweE2PfUb3Hm1FH281DHUGk

Now that got me wondering: what if one (or several) of these private adversary-air contractors bought some RAF Tornados to give the USAF a good workout against something that can credibly simulate an Su-24 or a Xian JH-7?

Draken International markings here: https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/RNZAF-current-a-c.html (scroll down) Sheets for Skyhawks and Mb-339s in 1/48th, 1/72nd and 1/144th scales.

They better move fast!
https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/09/reduced-to-produce-the-end-of-the-rafs-tornado-f3-interceptor-force/

Always depressing to see aircraft the maintainers worked so hard on reduced to junk.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline Weaver

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 04:56:46 am »

They better move fast!
https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/09/reduced-to-produce-the-end-of-the-rafs-tornado-f3-interceptor-force/

Always depressing to see aircraft the maintainers worked so hard on reduced to junk.

Well the F.3s were RTP'd in order to keep the GR.4s going, which might have been brutal, but was logical enough. When the GR.4s come out of service, the same incentive won't apply, so maybe there'll be a decent 'window' in which to snag some. Also, the decision to retire then this year was announced some time ago, so there's already been a opportunity for negotiations to take place.
Principia Discordia