Dornier Schneider Glider 1939

Started by Tophe, January 07, 2019, 09:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

I know I still have 2 unfinished models, but the workbench room is cold (it is winter in my hemisphere), and I am staying in the warm part of the house, sorry.
Anyway, I went to the post office to get the present my brother offered me for Christmas and my birthday (thanks bro!): Dornier Schneider Racer 1929 (Unicraft 1/72 see http://www.unicraft.biz/germ/do-racer/do-racer.htm ).
I opened the box and I like it. My what-if project (as "never built scale 1" is not enough for my crazy mind) could be:
-   Having no engine/propeller but a nicely shaped pod
-   Having the wing just upon the floats-booms (as there is no propeller distance above the water to keep for a water glider)
-   Having short wings as I lack room
-   Having a P-51D canopy (the 2nd in my Heller Mustang kit used recently)
In 1939, the Schneider speed races were over, but the Schneider beauty contest was going on for water-gliders.
First, the available parts:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Cor, they're some big 'ole floats on that!  :o

I didn't know anyone did a kit of the Dornier, but of course if anyone did it be Unicraft.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

This is the 30th model I build from Unicraft. This is always a challenge, but succeeding provides satisfaction (according to my point of view). ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on January 07, 2019, 10:08:14 PM
This is the 30th model I build from Unicraft. This is always a challenge, but succeeding provides satisfaction (according to my point of view). ;D

Tophe wins the understatement of the year award and it's only mid January  ;D

Seriously though the parts don't look to bad for Unicraft. I'll be interested to see how this goes.

Quote from: Tophe on January 07, 2019, 09:32:26 AM
I know I still have 2 unfinished models, but the workbench room is cold (it is winter in my hemisphere), and I am staying in the warm part of the house, sorry.

Don't blame you at all Tophe, eminently sensible sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Thanks for the jokes ;D
Here are the parts of the kit that I am going to use:

Tophe

With a few sun rays warming the house, and tooled with very fast glue, I started to build:

Tophe

I have put the first putty, in a few seconds before going back to the warm place. ;)
Sanding (together with the one for Mustangs) will be longer, colder, later... :-\

Tophe

Then putty on the (shortened) wing and on top of the pod (a big amount there to replace the spinners by clean nose and rear):

Tophe

After first sanding and gluing the fins:

Tophe

Tophe

The floats' underside is painted, and putty has been added to the canopy/pod junction:

Tophe

The second sanding of the pod (the first with the canopy) has been performed, but still imperfect, so there will be another step of putty... :-\

Tophe

My superglue tube was finished, I bought a new one, and it seems it does not work, I have never seen that. I had to reinforce the contact wing-pod.

Tophe

Painted (drying):

Finishing tomorrow, unless the Earth explodes or something.

Tophe