DONE @p.5 +++ 1:72 Cornell/Jackson "American Spirit" Reno Racer

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 04, 2019, 01:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, everyone. Looks a little cheesy, but the aircraft's name justifies the measures, IMHO.  :mellow:

Quote from: loupgarou on January 23, 2019, 02:21:49 PM
Wow indeed. How did you do those bloody thin lines all around the cowling?

Generic silver decal strips (TL Modellbau), probably just 0.5mm wide. The same stuff was also used, just in black, to re-create the air brakes. The effect is great, and less messy than using a pen or even trying to engrave these lines on a hazardous of various styrene and putty types.  ;)

loupgarou

Thanks, Dizzy.
I know TL decals, didn't know they did also stripes so narrow.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 24, 2019, 12:13:32 AM
Looks a little cheesy,

I don't know, I think it looks spot-on   :thumbsup:  Now did you put on 50 stars  --- you just know some JMN will start counting them ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Finished photo shooting, but editing takes time. ETA for the final post: tomorrow.

zenrat

<rolls on floor kicking feet and banging fists>
Want

them

now!

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Some background:

Instead of a normal story compiled/edited by myself, a very good "real" source: an article about the "American Spirit" project from 1996, scanned from a magazine and posted elsewhere:

And here are some impressions from the finished model:

1:72 Cornell/Jackson Special &quot;American Spirit&quot; (Bu. No. N5032Q/#12) Air Speed Record/Reno Unlimited Class Racer, 1998 (Whif/kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Cornell/Jackson Special &quot;American Spirit&quot; (Bu. No. N5032Q/#12) Air Speed Record/Reno Unlimited Class Racer, 1998 (Whif/kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

..and also in flight:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and, finally, in standard static display:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A massive scratch-build. While challenging the work on this model was fun because it followed in its creation a similar process as the real "American Spirit", which was, AFAIK, sold and never completed. In the end, I am positively surprised how close the overall outlines seem to come to the real (and odd-looking) aircraft, even though the garish livery is purely speculative, so that this model is, despite its roots in the real world and the attempt to stay true to the original, a fictional/whif piece. The finish is a bit rough, though, but that's probably the price to pay when you create things from scratch.  :mellow:

zenrat

Your cockpit is further forward than the 1:1 in the photos.  However, you have done a fantastic job.
Excellent.

:thumbsup:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on January 28, 2019, 12:25:24 AM
Your cockpit is further forward than the 1:1 in the photos.  However, you have done a fantastic job.
Excellent.

:thumbsup:

The canopy is shorter in real life, too.

zenrat

They obviously made some design changes during the build process...
:mellow:
Fred

PR19_Kit

That's pretty darned awesome Thomas. And the finish is superb!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Are there any star decals left in your part of Germany?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Well, I had to order a second sheet of the H0 gauge WWII Allied markings, but I think that was worth it?