Author Topic: A-7 Delta  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
Re: A-7 Delta
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 10:36:37 am »
Well, not a great deal of progress today.  It was mostly fiddly stuff - undercarriage legs, lumps 'n' bumps, plus a little more putty.

A-7 Delta 009
Intake lips, refueling receptacle, cannon fairing, and all the other wee olive drab bits that haven't been painted yet, with the exception of the lower beacon light.  I had the red paint out to do the tail hook anyway, so ...

A-7 Delta 010
There were a couple on the tail, too.  The directions are rather unclear about the small wedge bit under the rudder.  The rear edge is at a slant, but whether the slant meets the rudder trailing edge line or is opposite is not shown - and of course it fits either way ...
Ancient Ogre Proverb:
"It's dark in the dark when it's dark."

Offline Paper Kosmonaut

• Kitbasher
  • models mainly in paper...
    • Paper Kosmonaut's blog
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 12:10:42 pm »
An impressive change in appearance, this whif. The SLUF suddenly looks like a FLUF. And not even that "U" in the acrtonym any more. Great to see it come to life!
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 02:01:04 am »
I started attaching the undercarriage doors - model glue dried enough to hold, gel super glue applied to make it all 'unbreakable' - and I realized the doors I'd put on the bottom were in fact supposed to be on top ... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

No damage was incurred, but I've slowed right down so's I don't do that kind of mistake again.  <grrrr>
Ancient Ogre Proverb:

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 12:11:36 pm »

A-7 Delta 011
I wanted a paint scheme that was close to an actual, official scheme, but yet different to mark that this is not just another A-7 Alpahabet. So I'm going with Light OD Green top-sides and ordnance, and matte black for all undersurfaces & pylons. My first idea was to go with the Hellenic Air force, but by that time I'd already used the darker colours - and anyone who's tried to put a light colour over a dark one knows how tough that is to pull off. So, here we are with a quasi-Rolling Thunder scheme.

A-7 Delta 012
The view from the top. The black will be visible only alongside the cockpit, and since that tends to be a dark spot anyway ... meh.

A-7 Delta 013
I had the thing together and sitting on its undercarriage legs - and it sat on its tail. i'd forgotten to put in the nose weights. Fortunately, there is no forward undercarriage bay, just an open hole, so I used that hole and a lot of superglue to put in the cousin of this chap. Normally, I'd use split shot fishing weights, or bird shot - but that's all steel now, so it takes a lot more for the same weight.  I had the chain sitting around - it worked, so we're good.  BTW, the hole is plugged with black foam (sponge rubber) so if t need to add more weight once the ordnance is added, I can try.  :)

A-7 Delta 014
I'm sure you spotted that the inboard pylons are not on the wings. I left them off to aid painting because I don't have any bent brushes. ;)

Ancient Ogre Proverb:

Offline TheChronicOne

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 03:08:47 pm »
BADASS....  this is right on target.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 04:14:43 am »
Interesting. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 07:44:02 am »
Very. I'm looking forward to more of this. It's almost like something from the GI Joe universe or something and they had some of the coolest aircraft creations ever. I'm jealous I didn't think of this first.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-