Mistel Sukhoy Su-2727

Started by Tophe, November 18, 2018, 07:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Today my dear little sister offered me the payment for two models: one for my Christmas (P-51D Heller 1/72) and one for my birthday just after Christmas (Su-27 Revell 1/144, and I added a 2nd copy by myself). I ordered them today, and delivery is scheduled between 22-28th November.
My plan is building a Su-27/27 Mistel, but I still hesitate between 2 ways: either (left) normal tail below, truncated tail above, the fins from there being used as inter-wing supports; or (right) no tail on both copies up and down, and 2 fins (or 4 with the tailplanes turned vertical) on each one, used as interwing supports for the lower one. I prefer the second, less realistic and more what-if... and it could be asymmetric with fins on starboard and tailplanes becoming fins on port side.

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

:unsure: Seeing the 3-view at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SUKHOI_Su-27_FLANKER.svg I think I will have to change my project.
On the no tail way, the wing seems too much rear for inter-wing supports to hold the upper one: the nose will drop down. So maybe the front supports will be under/upon th nose. I will have to try.
Another idea I had is: instead of asymmetry: using all the fins for the lower component, and all the tailplanes (turned vertical as fins) on the upper component. :unsure:

Tophe

I have not received the kits yet, but I may start dreaming more "seriously".
Here is what I plan to build (two pieces, one above the other in a Mistel way): ;D

(Please don't tell it to the psychiatrists) :unsure:

TallEng

Not sure what you've done there Tophe but it looks good :thumbsup:
I think it's crying out for Canards. Perhaps you could mount the former tail planes
As canards on the forward part of the wing strakes?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Tophe

Thanks.

If, in the box, there are 4 fins (2 versions to chose from), I will follow your direction: 4 fins to hold (and the tailplanes turned canard foreplanes).
Otherwise, maybe I could use another way: the plane below, to hold the upper one, would have 4 fins while the plane above would have 2 fins and 2 canard foreplanes... I will see, thanks again. ;)

Tophe

I have been informed today that the parcel is delayed, because the Revell Su-27 1/144 is not available in France right now. So building the Su-2727 is delayed, sorry :unsure:

kerick

Well, that stinks! I was looking forward to your solution to the fin problem.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

<_< Good news today (in French): "Cher client, Votre commande a été expédiée et vous la recevrez prochainement. Le délai d acheminement est de 3 à 4 jours." (the parcel is sent, and should arrive in 3 or 4 days.) So I hope this will come sunday, and as sunday and monday are closed for the shop receiving it, the hope is getting it forthcoming tuesday, december 4th, 2018 yes (not next year!)... <_<

kerick

Its on its way! Clear off the table and get ready!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

The parcel arrived yesterday (with my Christmas gift, and I waited December today to open it). The Su-27 are there, in advance to my birthday but I may start I think to have it finished for the very day...

In this kit, there not two kinds of fins to chose from, so I will have to do as planned at first.

Tophe

Among the 96 parts of the 2 kits, here are the 34 I am going to use:

Tophe

I have glued the half fuselages and noses, and here I just present (without glue) what a Su-27Z would look like:

Tophe

On the photograph above, I did not put in place the dorsal airbrakes, why? Ahem, they do not fit perfectly in closed position (see below), so this would require putty and I prefer putting them to garbage and filling their place directly with putty.

Tophe

This morning, I went to the butcher shop and... something happened:

Tophe

The temporary status is a zwilling flying wing: