Supermarine S.7 (Crossed the Finish Line!)

Started by strobez, November 12, 2018, 12:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Recently uncovered... the never-before-seen... Supermarine S.7...

Not much to look at yet, but work is underway...

Thanks!

Greg

loupgarou

It's the old Frog one, with more flash added?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

strobez

Yes indeed. An extra helping of Flash in fact... enough to feed a whole family.  ;D
Thanks!

Greg

Dizzyfugu

Ah, I had already an eye on this kit for the GB, too, but eventually refrained due to the mold quality... Good luck, I am curious what becomes of it.

PR19_Kit

In its time the FROG S6B was a much better kit than the Airfix one, but it deteriorated a lot faster sadly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

I just picked up the Airfix one, might be the first model I ever built many moons ago. I'll be interested to see what becomes of yours.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

KiwiZac

Oooh, tantalising! I'm keen to see what you make of this - an upgraded S.6 sounds like fun.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

strobez

Thanks for the boost, gents.  I've started (unsurprisingly) by scratching up something that looks vaguely like a cockpit.

I'm still deciding what modifications to incorporate, so if anyone's got a brilliant suggestion, I'm all ears!
Thanks!

Greg

Gondor

How about a contra-prop ?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

strobez

Ok... we're on the same wavelength.  Given the speed records set by the Macchi M.C. 72, the counter-prop seems to be the most obvious (visible) difference I can make.  I was also thinking about changing the tail design a bit... mainly just for fun.
Thanks!

Greg

perttime

Contra props would be good. If you don't happen to have one, a 5 blade prop would be different.

What did the S-6B have for radiators?

PR19_Kit

The S-6s had tubes built into the wing surfaces and along the fuselage so that the glycol cooling liquid could be cooled in turn by the air flow.

Not a recipe for a long endurance flight, but OK for the Schneider Trophy.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

All late Schneider Trophy designs featured surface evaporation cooling, as Kit mentioned, integrated into the wings, fuselage flanks and also into the floats and their struts.

strobez

Got a bit more done.  I probably should've spent more time on the cockpit, but I know how much work is coming for the fuselage, so I sort of chickened out.  Once the windscreen is in place it'll be hard to see inside since these racers have such small cockpit openings... right?

Anyway, I decided to paint the cockpit green... it's pretty rough, but good enough I think.  I also scratched up the second (counter) prop using something similar (leftover from my Ki-10 Perry) and a few bits of polystyrene tubing.

After I was able to glue the fuselage and the wings together, there were a few bits and pieces that needed to be added to the cockpit from outside.  I left the engine hatch unglued for the moment as the props still need a bit of fiddling into place.

Counter props stuck on temporarily with blue tack.  I just put it on top of the floats for imaginary purposes.  :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Greg

jcf

The tubes on the fuselage were the oil cooler.

Perhaps a pair of Merlins in tandem, or a V-16
using Merlin components, driving the two-bladed
contra-props in a manner similar to the MC 72 or
CA-15, respectively.