Polikarpov I-16 Sprinter - Finished Pics Pg 4

Started by zenrat, October 30, 2018, 11:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on December 15, 2018, 01:39:27 AM
Quote from: zenrat on December 15, 2018, 12:53:19 AM
Pictures tomorrow.
Please, clock, hurry and make it tomorrow now... ;) ;D

It probably is in Australia  :o :o :o ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Most of us can wait, but I will go in travel and I may fail to see them. If I am silent tomorrow, be sure this is not disapprovement of the final model  ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

In a world with no war international differences are resolved through sport. 
The pinnacle of sporting events is the Aerolympics where brave airmen and airwomen take to the skies to win for their countries the prestige and honour of victory.

Polikarpov I-16

Soviet Union Team.  VIIth Aerolympiad, Berlin, August 1936.
The No. 22 aircraft pictured was piloted by Marina Raskova.
Polikarpov I-16 Sprinter 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Unknown in the West before the '36 games the Soviet team's I-16s walked away with gold in the shorter sprint events (10, 20 & 40 mile individual plus the 4 x 10, 20 & 40 mile relays).  Only in the 80 mile races did they fail to win, and then only due to fuel consumption miscalculations rather than any lack of performance.  Miscalculations which saw designer and sprint team chef de mission Nikolai Polikarpov locked up by Joe Stalin.  Again.
Polikarpov I-16 Sprinter 011 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The I-16's impressive performance was due to it's large powerful engine and light weight.  The powerplant used was a Shvetsov M-81 14 cylinder two row radial producing over 2000hp running on "special" fuel.  Extreme weight saving measures included the use of thin gauge plywood for non-structural internal fittings such as the seat & instrument panel, not painting any of the aircrafts interior and helium filled tyres.
Polikarpov I-16 Sprinter 028 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Protests were lodged following the end of the Aerolympiad when tests carried out by the United States showed the Russian team's "special" fuel to be a potent mix of nitro-methane and grain alcohol.  Ultimately an international court threw out these protests when a corrupted chain of evidence led to the samples and subsequent tests being deemed inadmissible in court.  The results stood, but from the VIIIth Aerolympiad (1940, Tokyo) only officially sanctioned fuels were allowed and pre and post testing was introduced.
Polikarpov I-16 Sprinter 017 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Polikarpov I-16 Sprinter 016 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Model.
ICM 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 tip-24.
Engine and cowling from Airfix 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter (new mould).
Prop and spinner from my Props & Engines box – possibly Matchbox Lysander and Hasegawa Kawanishi H6K respectively).
Painted in Sugar Strawberry acrylic from a rattle can.
Decals from Linden Hill Global Rooks aftermarket set.
This tiny little model went together very nicely despite ICMs usual "exploding diagram" instructions.  Replacing the kit engine was remarkably easy.
I have an I-15 biplane in the stash.  I'm hoping it is as enjoyable a build.
Polikarpov I-16 Sprinter 029 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Very nice little build, Fred! :thumbsup:

I have a Type 24(?) in the stash I'm trying to figure out what to do with. Possibly Czech.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

That's come out really well mate  :thumbsup: The spinner makes her look quite "sleek". Something I never thought I'd say about a I-16  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Wow, that looks spectacular! I agree with Chris, this is by far the sleekest Ishak I've ever seen! What a gorgeous machine. That new engine installation is perfect.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

An AWESOME machine Fred, and the colour scheme is terrific too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

Tophe

Belated congratulations, from the other side of the world (where wifi is working fortulately).
Apart of the model, I like this is a peace tool and with a feminine pilot!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

The Rat

Now THAT is one way to make the dumpy little thing look much better. And I love the asymmetric marking with that blue stripe, I used a similar technique once and it looks very eye-catching.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Fred

zenrat

Fred