Author Topic: AIM-4 Falcon  (Read 183 times)

Offline KJ_Lesnick

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
AIM-4 Falcon
« on: October 20, 2018, 05:43:04 am »
From what I remember, the AIM-4 started out as a bomber-defense missile that was then re-purposed into a fighter-to-fighter and then fighter-to-bomber missile: I'm curious why they never designed such a weapon with a proximity fuze and how much effort it would have taken to have enlarged the design to carry a proximity fuse with a 10# blast-frag warhead at minimum and 50# at the upper end?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Offline kerick

Re: AIM-4 Falcon
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 12:55:16 pm »
The reasoning behind the Hughes arrow is one of life’s mysteries. It never made any sense to me. What good is something that if it misses the target by a foot doesn’t go off at all. Useless.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me!

Offline Snowtrooper

• Makes own decals
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 01:06:53 pm »
The Swedes actually updated the Falcon (at least the AIM-4C based Rb 28, don't know if they tinkered with the AIM-26B based Rb 27 too) with a proximity fuse, an improved seeker head with better CM resistance and capable of limited all-aspect attacks, and other "undisclosed modifications". Supposedly it was even better than the cancelled AIM-4H would have been. All without enlarging the missile - basically, they just kept the basic aerodynamic shape and changed the innards bit by bit.

Also, the basic AIM-4 design WAS enlarged, twice even - both for the AIM-4E/F/G "Super Falcon" and AIM-26 and its variants.

Offline KJ_Lesnick

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 02:43:58 am »
The Swedes actually updated the Falcon (at least the AIM-4C based Rb 28, don't know if they tinkered with the AIM-26B based Rb 27 too) with a proximity fuse, an improved seeker head with better CM resistance and capable of limited all-aspect attacks, and other "undisclosed modifications".
That's interesting
Also, the basic AIM-4 design WAS enlarged, twice even - both for the AIM-4E/F/G "Super Falcon" and AIM-26 and its variants.
What I meant was since it was designed early on as a missile for bombers to defend against fighters, to a missile to protect fighters against fighters, to a missile to allow fighters to kill bombers.

The last part could have used some growth...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.