Tornado F6

Started by PR19_Kit, August 28, 2018, 05:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

After some time spent filing the joint faces, here it is all back together again. It'll need a fair amount of PSR to smooth the extension plugs into the rest of the airframe, but I expected that. I've already glued a styrene strip on the bottom of the forward plug as that was a tad short.

With the longer wings AND longer fuselage the thing will still look a similar proportion to an F3, so I expect I'll have to build a standard F3 to sit alongside it so people can the difference!  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Hey, I note the extended tailplanes as well. Nice touch!  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Steel Penguin

with the increased length and width  keeping it kind of proportional, I think you may have to Kit  :unsure:
it almost looks like the scale has shifted as opposed to the extension.
but when its finished, the look on peoples faces when they read the story is going to be utterly priceless  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: JayBee on August 31, 2018, 01:44:12 PM
Hey, I note the extended tailplanes as well. Nice touch!  :thumbsup:

Tis indeed  :thumbsup:

Quote from: JayBee on August 31, 2018, 07:45:05 AM
I deny this most emphatically, I have NEVER danced on a table. Damned silly idea if you ask me.

Yup. Getting up is ok, but getting back down again can be the problem I found  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: Devilfish on August 31, 2018, 03:17:47 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 31, 2018, 02:52:48 AM
'FIN FULL' has apparently become RAF slang for 'having had too much to drink', i.e. the shorthand for "Jim's dancing on the tables and molesting the waitresses" is "Jim's at FIN FULL".... ;D

Maybe in the Tornado world, but I never heard that in 22 years of service.

I only read it somewhere so I can't vouch for it personally. It might well be limited to the Tornado community: after all, it wouldn't make much sense anywhere else, would it?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 01, 2018, 02:02:37 AM

Quote from: JayBee on August 31, 2018, 07:45:05 AM
I deny this most emphatically, I have NEVER danced on a table. Damned silly idea if you ask me.

Yup. Getting up is ok, but getting back down again can be the problem I found  ;)

Apply gravity: no problem. :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Nice one Kit! :thumbsup:

What's the backstory to be? How about reduced dependence on tankers due to the increase in tanker workload following the Falklands War?

- Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on September 01, 2018, 02:52:03 AM

I only read it somewhere so I can't vouch for it personally. It might well be limited to the Tornado community: after all, it wouldn't make much sense anywhere else, would it?

It would work at Brize Norton for the VC10 Sqdns. as all the RAF VC10s had fuel tanks in the fin, even the C1s as they had Super VC10 fins.

Quote from: Weaver on September 01, 2018, 02:57:11 AM

Nice one Kit! :thumbsup:

What's the backstory to be? How about reduced dependence on tankers due to the increase in tanker workload following the Falklands War?

I haven't worked that out yet, but your idea sounds very plausible to me, thanks. The larger fuselage tanks, and extra tanks in the longer wings, giving extended loiter time over the North Sea etc.  :thumbsup:

I may add a couple of extra 'winders in some outboard pylons as well.

The extended tailplane tips are there so that with the wings swept back the tips of both surfaces join up in a nice, smooth line, a bit like the RAAF F-111Cs.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

It looks a little nose-heavy, doesn't it?  :o But maybe the impression changes with the fin in place - but to me the wings look relatively far back, just as on my recent Barghest build.

Kooking good, nevertheless, I am already curious about the paint scheme!

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 01, 2018, 04:33:21 AM
It looks a little nose-heavy, doesn't it?  :o But maybe the impression changes with the fin in place - but to me the wings look relatively far back, just as on my recent Barghest build.

Fuel in the rudder and the RWR fairing.... ;)

- Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 01, 2018, 04:33:21 AM

Yes, good thinking, so am I..............

Barley Grey and Light Aircraft Grey have been done to death already, so I may do it as a display aircraft. I have 4-5 Modeldecal sheets with F3 schemes on them.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

What about a BoB commemorative scheme? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 01, 2018, 09:19:08 AM
What about a BoB commemorative scheme? :unsure:

Or an overall Camouflage Grey finish, armed with Alarm missiles (like what one or two F3s ended up with) as a Wild Weasel EF.5?

IIRC the Airfix 1/48 F3 got that boxing.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

How about a performance upgrade with EJ200 nozzles?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

All the superglue having set off now I started off filing the plugs and the fuselage itself. These horizontally joined fuselages never seem to match up as nicely as vertically joined ones, and always need more filing and PSR work in my experience.  :banghead:

It went sort of OK, the resin plugs filing down nicely, but the all-moving tailplane got in the way a few times and eventually one side snapped clean off.  :banghead:

These moving bits are all very well, but if you can't build the model without being able to assemble them later it can all get a tad fragile. I'll just have to glue it in place eventually, but that'll be after the monster PSR session that's heading my way.......

Regards
Kit