General Dynamics Canberra PR9

Started by PR19_Kit, August 10, 2018, 02:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

In this time warp Shorts never did make their PR9, so when the RAF needed a serious high altitude PR aircraft with the capacity to carry the heavy System III cameras, they bought some RB-57Fs from the USA, enough to equip 2-3 squadrons. As the RB-57F used the same engines, TF-33s, as the later Meteor PR19Bs, 13 Squadron was the first unit to convert to the big winged American type. As it was based on a Canberra airframe it became known as the Canberra PR9, despite being considerably larger than any other Canberra.

This is a Mach 2 kit, and it fits amazingly well for a Mach 2 anything, the left hand fuselage is even the same diameter as the right hand half! Mind you, one side of the fin is 1.5 mm longer than the other and the cockpit interior didn't  fit worth a light to start with. The front, fan portion of the engines needed 15 mins. worth of heavy duty filing in order to fit round the inner core as well, usual Mach 2 stuff really, but a lot less than normal.

Build pics so far below, and I started it on Thursday evening BTW, so it's been quite a quick build amazingly.

The regular 'before assembly' pic

Fuselage half after 30 mins of filing to get the cockpit to fit....

The MONSTER wings prior to the fitment of the fan sections of the engines

The diabolical fit of the starboard fan section. This is AFTER I'd filed and fitted it for 15 mins!

The whole assemblage so far. The nose cone is left off deliberately as it'll need a LOT of nose weight, Canberras always do. It's over 20" wingspan too.  :o

It'll be in the Hemp scheme with 39 (No.1 PRU) Sqdn. markings eventually.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Looks like Kit has got his big wing mojo back :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on August 10, 2018, 02:37:05 PM

Looks like Kit has got his big wing mojo back :thumbs ;D:

This one is being built WITHOUT extending the wings. Just for once they're probably big enough I reckon.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Looking good Kit. I used the interior parts from the Italeri B-57G, glazing and landing gear on my attempt. Replaced the engines for a pair of Rolls-Royce Griffons.

rickshaw

I've had that Mach 2 kit for a couple of years now.  Occasionally I take it out and have a look at it and I consider my previous experiences with Mach 2 kits and I shake my head and put it back again.  I look forward to your experiences with it, Kit.   It is one for the future for me.  Next year, I think, next year...  ;)  :banghead: :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

I don't think I've ever owned a Mach 2 kit, let alone built one. Brave man Kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 11, 2018, 02:54:33 AM

I don't think I've ever owned a Mach 2 kit, let alone built one. Brave man Kit  :thumbsup:

After the building the Monterey last year I was wondering how well the RB-57F would go together too, expecting LOTS of PSR, but actually I was quite surprised how well it went together. The top and bottom wings fit almost perfectly and the fuselage halves match very well. I didn't have to use glue on the tailplanes, they plugged straight in at the correct dihedral angle and just a brushfull of MekPak did the job.

Have no fear Brian, it's much better than you'd think.

I PSR'd some joints last night and there'll be mucho sanding later today I expect. I may even glue the wings on too!  :o

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Watching this one Kit, the kit is another I started before my house move (some years ago now) that got packed away and is still there.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, I take back what I said about maybe not needing too much PSR. The engine nacelles look as if they're entirely moulded in Presto putty by now, I'm on the third session to get the joints correct between the fan section and the main nacelle.

The fuselage PSR'd up nicely, only one session there, and the starboard wing is a lot better than the port one so I've just glued that in place. The 'instructions' (Mach 2's usual single sided sheet with little or no words on it....) suggests that the wing tips should be touching the ground with the wheel-less fuselage sitting on there too. I tried that but ended up with a gap at the upper wing joint a scale foot wide! So I've eased the anhedral off a tad so the joint is puttyable and the anhedral is still noticeable.

I may get the other wing on before midnight, may.....

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2018, 03:27:00 AM
The top and bottom wings fit almost perfectly and the fuselage halves match very well.

One is tempted to say to what do the wings fit and what do the fuselage halves match up with ? Indeed, one has just said, pr typed, it  :angel:

Glad it's not to much of a struggle Kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AS.12

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2018, 02:02:45 PM
Hmmm, I take back what I said about maybe not needing too much PSR.

If it had been a Shorts PR.9 I could have made a joke about it being just like the real thing...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AS.12 on August 12, 2018, 01:53:06 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2018, 02:02:45 PM
Hmmm, I take back what I said about maybe not needing too much PSR.

If it had been a Shorts PR.9 I could have made a joke about it being just like the real thing...

Perhaps the RAF's PR9s could have been built under licence by Shorts?

[The backstory can always be modified to suit the model  ;D]

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

After mucho filing I've got the port wing on as well, and the joint isn't too bad. It'll need some PSR but not as much I thought originally.

I've also fitted the J-60 auxiliary engines, which needed LOTS more filing than the wings! First primer coat on tomorrow with luck.

This has been the fastest build I've done in many a year, very weird considering it's a Mach 2 kit.

[Later] I've also spent some time drawing up the distinctive wing walk lines, which aren't provided with the kit's decals. A right pain but necessary to look right as far as I'm concerned.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've been trying to get the nose weight right over the last day or so, with little success......  :banghead:

I filled the un-fitted nose cone with fishing shot and poured some thin superglue over it, which set up OK, and then taped it in position but that wasn't enough to balance the whole airframe. So my plan was to pour more shot into the nose, around the cockpit and the nose gear bay, and then pour some PVA glue in afterwards and leave it nose down overnight while glue set.

WRONG!

This morning when I took the nose cone off a large amount of un-set PVA and teeny shot weights poured out of the nose!  :banghead: :banghead:

Either I've got a duff lot of PVA or it's not warm enough for it to dry. It's sitting on a radiator now with tape across the nose, but if it hasn't set this afternoon I'll be pouring more superglue into the nose.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I thought you were suffering a heat-wave over there, has it cooled down? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est