Vickers VC-10 Superb

Started by Hobbes, August 05, 2018, 08:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

in 1965, BAC proposed a double-decker version of the VC-10. This would mate a new fuselage with the Super VC-10 wing and tail unit, and RB.178 Super Conway engines of 27,500 lb thrust. Capacity would be 265-286 seats. 
The new fuselage would have as much commonality with the VC-10 as possible, e.g. the fuselage sides of the lower bubble would be identical to the VC-10 ones.
This version would have had better economics than the VC-10 (the wing which was overkill for the VC-10 came into its own here).

Source material: Stuck on the drawing board, Project Cancelled, the VC-10 Superb brochure, 2x Roden VC-10

strobez

Oh, you bet I'm keeping my eye on this one. I love it already.  What's the size of this baby?
Thanks!

Greg

Hobbes

Fuselage length is 37 cm. Scale 1/144.

AS.12

Curiously enough, a few days I ago I was comparing the VC-10 with the 757 and 767.  It actually comes in marginally heavier than the original 767-200 ( 147 versus 136 tonnes MTOW ) but has about 80 sq ft less wing area than the 767.  Aspect ratio is also lower for the VC-10, 7.4 versus 8.0.

And even the 707-320 only had 40 sq ft less than the VC-10.  I do wonder sometimes if the hot and high 'compromises' are exaggerated in order to cover for the fact that it just couldn't compete with the Boeing marketing machine.

63cpe

Oh........my............God...........Hobbes. This is a real frankenstein project! It's going to be lots of PSR....But it sure will pay off. Can't wait to see it finished...

kitnut617

This has got to be done in 1/72   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

loupgarou

What brand of putty are you  using?
I will buy some shares of the society.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

TWO Roden Super VC10s?  :o

You must have a very friendly bank manager..........  ;D ;)

That looks a pretty complex build, best of luck with it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Good Lord!!   :wacko:    This looks nutty, I love it.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Quote from: AS.12 on August 05, 2018, 11:16:30 AMCuriously enough, a few days I ago I was comparing the VC-10 with the 757 and 767.  It actually comes in marginally heavier than the original 767-200 ( 147 versus 136 tonnes MTOW ) but has about 80 sq ft less wing area than the 767.  Aspect ratio is also lower for the VC-10, 7.4 versus 8.0.

And even the 707-320 only had 40 sq ft less than the VC-10.  I do wonder sometimes if the hot and high 'compromises' are exaggerated in order to cover for the fact that it just couldn't compete with the Boeing marketing machine.

Cost estimate from the brochure:

Hobbes

I've more or less finished this (and I got it done in time for Telford). There are a few items I still need to sort out (the decals need repairs).

Another set of RB.178 engines (same basic design I used for the Jet Belfast, now in side-by-side configuration):

Next to a standard VC-10 (the RB.211 test bed G-AXLR, based on the Airfix kit), you can see it's much longer. If you look back at the photos at the start of this thread, I hacked up the Roden kit (which is a Super VC-10) and inserted 2 fuselage sections, totaling 17 windows.

Tophe

nice double-deck model, congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

63cpe

Lovely! What a great model! :wub: :wub:

PR19_Kit

REALLY impressive work there Harro.   :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit