SF-313 Alwet from a helicopter

Started by Tophe, August 04, 2018, 06:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

In the 1970s, I was a realist modeler (9-15 year old), and loving the box-art of the Sud-Aviation SA-315 Lama (Heller 1/50 I think), I tried to build it. I succeeded, but the result was not beautiful at all. With all this glassware, I was afraid to paint the frames and the result was not nice.
Now I know how handling the glassware: painting it black is more easy and permits mistakes to be corrected. And the rear boom with many tubes was ugly and I can now discard it. And the very big rotor taking too much room (without pleasant shape) may be discarded.
Here is my project: no more Sud-Est SE-313 Alouette 2 (single-boom helicopter) but Southern-Fiction SF-313 Alwet (twin-boom pusher little airplane), small cousin of the Edgley Optica.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Here is the source I am going to use (I have ordered yesterday, arrival scheduled for August 10th): Mach2 1/72 kit (I prefer small than 1/48 Heller Alouette 2 now).

The source of this project comes from the inspiration of the P-38/Hughes 500 marvel by our friend ericr at http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,37003.1815.html
Thanks!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Thanks! ;D

Quote from: Tophe on August 04, 2018, 06:56:44 PM
loving the box-art of the Sud-Aviation SA-315 Lama (Heller 1/50 I think)
Google found it on the web:

see https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/previews/heller/482.htm

Scotaidh

... and here I thought, looking at your drawing before reading what you'd written, that it was a powered sled for zooming across the frozen wastes of northern Canada and Alaska ... :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

All right, I just love the aerodynamic nice shape, no matter if it is flying in the air or gliding on the snow. Thanks for the idea! ;)

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on August 05, 2018, 09:57:44 AM
no matter if it is flying in the air or gliding on the snow
Maybe my word "gliding" was unclear, sorry.  :-\ I did not mean a glider/sailplane but the French word "glisser", whose translation according to Google is not precisely glide but
slip
skid
run
slip down
slither
slide along
glide along
skate
skitter

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on August 06, 2018, 06:37:24 AM
Quote from: Tophe on August 05, 2018, 09:57:44 AM
no matter if it is flying in the air or gliding on the snow
Maybe my word "gliding" was unclear, sorry.  :-\ I did not mean a glider/sailplane but the French word "glisser", whose translation according to Google is not precisely glide but
slip
skid
run
slip down
slither
slide along
glide along
skate
skitter

I knew what you meant, my friend - and the imprecise English meaning is why we stole the French word to form this:

"glissade"
[gli-sahd, -seyd]

noun

1. a skillful glide over snow or ice in descending a mountain, as on skis or a toboggan.
   2. Dance. a sliding or gliding step."

I don't do either skiing or dancing, but I believe that "gli-sahd" is used for dance steps, and 'gli-sayd" for snow sports.  It's also used in Music to indicate that a passage should be done in a smooth sliding fashion - although that's a 'glissando"

So your craft will slide skillfully in a gliding fashion.  :)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on August 07, 2018, 04:49:14 AM
Thanks teacher! :thumbsup:

Sorry!  I know I tend to go on - what my dad calls "potificating".  :/  What can I say - I'm an English Major ....  :)

Tophe

My thanks were sincere, true, not grinning/grimacing: you have a knowledge that I miss (English is not my mother language)... ;)

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on August 07, 2018, 06:52:27 PM
My thanks were sincere, true, not grinning/grimacing: you have a knowledge that I miss (English is not my mother language)... ;)

Oh - oops.  <red-face> Sorry! Mea culpa.

I'm not used to genuine appreciation, you see.  Most here - in New England, America, that is - seem to get deeply offended at the slightest hint of correction in grammar, usage, spelling - anything to do with using the English language.

I grew up with a father who amuses himself with puns, making up words & meanings, and so on.  I inherited this sense of humour.  I own and love reading "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" (a humourous how-to book on English grammar).

To me English is a playground of endless possibilities, an interesting labyrinth of odd rules and nonsensical usages - a place where "burnable" does not mean "inflammable" which is again different to "inflamed" - unless one is a medieval herald, but their lingua franca was and is French, anyway.  To me it's a natural consequence of combining radically different language systems - germanic, latinaic, and romance languages, all of which happened because of folks arriving in Britain - Norse, Saxons, and Franks overlaying the local Scots, Picts, Welsh, and Cornish; add in William the Conquerer forcing a French overlay; mix priests and scholars with their Latin and Greek; salt in the British fascination with other cultures and places - Lawrence of Arabia is just the most prominent example - and bringing home exotic words and items from places like India, China, Arabia, and all of Africa ...

Add to this that I live in a country where Microsoft is the ultimate arbiter on grammar and spelling, and the phrase "ain't got none" is still somehow perfectly acceptable ...  <sigh>

My very first Asterix book was "Asterix au jeuz les Olympiques" ...

Sorry - there's me on my soap-box again.  <embarrassed>

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

You'd have got on well with my old English teacher Mr Royal or "old Bert" when he wasn't listening  ;D

Gave me a love of English I've kept to this day.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quote from:  ;)Tophe on August 04, 2018, 06:58:53 PM
(I have ordered yesterday, arrival scheduled for August 10th)
As scheduled, yesterday morning they sent me a mail saying the parcel arrived in the shop. But impossible for me to get it after working hours. So this will be today (it is 5am on this side of the planet, too early for shops to be open). After having waited maybe 42 years to build it again, better, I may wait a few more hours I think ;)