Whirlwind Mk V

Started by NARSES2, July 28, 2018, 03:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Looks good Chris, glad you're done after all theb :banghead: it's given you.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Rat

Quote from: Rheged on August 03, 2018, 02:06:25 PMSomeone will have to build a Jabberwock  to use as a target aircraft

YES WOW WHIZ BANG! What a fantastic name for an aircraft, can't believe nobody has used that yet, at least not to my knowledge. It MUST be done.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

She's a beauty, a beauty I tells ya!  :thumbsup: :drink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Doug K

Really, really nice and in that scheme too :thumbsup:

Weaver

That came out well, problems not withstanding - nice one! :thumbsup:

Westland were adamant that the Whirlwind couldn't be redesigned to take different engines, but when you see how well they fit..... Mind you, this is Teddy Petter we're talking about....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Dizzyfugu

That looks very good, the slender Spitfire cowlings look very good! Very balanced.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Thank you gentlemen  :thumbsup: I must admit the 1945 SEAC scheme is one of, if not my actual, favourite schemes. The late War Italian 3 colour upper surface splinter scheme pushes it, but I think SEAC just wins on the line  ;D

Quote from: Weaver on October 08, 2018, 06:12:23 PM
Westland were adamant that the Whirlwind couldn't be redesigned to take different engines, but when you see how well they fit..... Mind you, this is Teddy Petter we're talking about....

Yup I've assumed Petter had gone off in a huff in the backstory I'm working on.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

There's a thread on Secret Projects showing a letter that shows they were quite keen on the idea. :thumbsup:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5734.90.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

It'd be interesting to see how a Whirlwind would look with the 'slim-line' DH Hornet engines too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2018, 10:33:24 AM
It'd be interesting to see how a Whirlwind would look with the 'slim-line' DH Hornet engines too.

Well now --- I've always considered this as the "ultimate" Whirlwind, if you look at the wings they're more like the Whirlwind's than the Hornet's

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

The shot on the ground certainly looks like something Westland may have come up with. A kind of half way house between the Whirlwind and the Welkin.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

manuel

:mellow: just as spitfire engine were design to whirlwind :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man.  Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish.  Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.  ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

perttime

It does look right.

... Every time I see a Whirlwind photo, I think it looks really sleek - except for the cockpit canopy. I wonder how a late Spitfire or Seafire canopy would fit.

NARSES2

Thank you Manuel

Quote from: perttime on November 22, 2018, 10:44:05 PM
It does look right.

... Every time I see a Whirlwind photo, I think it looks really sleek - except for the cockpit canopy. I wonder how a late Spitfire or Seafire canopy would fit.

I know what you mean, but at the time it was designed the canopy was quite an innovation. I did pose a spare Tempest V canopy on it during building and was tempted  ;) Maybe next time ?  ;D