Whirlwind Mk V

Started by NARSES2, July 28, 2018, 03:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well here's the starting point of my next GB entry.

I've already started her engine replacement and the Spitfire V's Merlin cowl is almost a perfect fit. Indeed if I could saw anything like a straight line (I can't even slice bread  :banghead:) it would almost be a "slot in".
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Only ONE Spitfire? :o

OK, just saw the sticker on the box. Existential crisis averted! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 28, 2018, 03:13:42 AM

Exactly!  :o

Or will it be a 'Tophe Special' with an engine on one side and the cockpit offset to the other, like a more belligerent Bv-141?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2018, 03:15:58 AM

Or will it be a 'Tophe Special' with an engine on one side and the cockpit offset to the other, like a more belligerent Bv-141?

Nope, I also, for some reason, have two more Italeri kits ?  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 28, 2018, 03:21:08 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2018, 03:15:58 AM

Nope, I also, for some reason, have two more Italeri kits ?  :unsure:

Ahah, THREE engines then?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Looking forward to this one, the Whirlwind is another favourite

NARSES2

The engine transplant was going well until  :banghead: There is quite a difference in thickness between the Airfix and Italeri and I managed to sand through the Italeri cowling where she meets the Airfix root  :o Had a small hole with egg shell thin surrounds.

Not to serious, and I would appear to have sorted it. I've also learnt to be a bit more careful with the other wing/engine join. Both wing/engine assemblies are now in primer and will get their next p.s.r. session tomorrow.

Meanwhile I tarted up the cockpit a little. Seat from the Italeri Spitfire is the cut down instrument panel. Stick from sprue, belts from tape and then some paint work and she's done. I've also found a pair of wheels/tyres which are about the right size and look far better then the originals. Mind you when I test fitted the wings to fuselage I was  :o Lovely fit. Sure will need a little bit of very thin strip on one root and some filler on both, but otherwise  :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying this. It's the most serious modelling I've done in a very, very long time. Normally I'm out of the box with a new paint scheme. Could be tempted farther down the path that leads to .................... ;)

Just need to finalise the scheme now. She will be Far East as a replacement for the Hurri-Bombers, but not sure if it will be late 44 early 45 or post February 45. The difference ? Pre February no white ID stripes, post February, white ID stripes.

NARSES2

Cockpit insert is in place and fuselage joined. Needs a little p.s.r. but not that much  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Stripes make it faster...! Looking forward to this one; I did some Whirlwind conversions, too, incl. transplants of Mosquito engines, which are quite bulky for the slender aircraft. I am curious how the Spitfire noses look on the kit - should result in a very sleek aircraft? Great idea.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Thanks Dizzy.

Hopefully this might start seeing paint at the end of the week. I'll post some in progress shots tomorrow all being well.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2018, 06:58:57 AM

Hopefully this might start seeing paint at the end of the week. I'll post some in progress shots tomorrow all being well.

Probably a tad optimistic. One of the main challenges for me, especially given my skill set is to try and get the engine nacelles symmetrical (sorry Tophe) or at least as symmetrical as I can and that's taking time.

Still here's some progress shots.

Peregrin and Merlin before surgery

Post surgery

PSR on the underside

PSR on the upper surface

Cockpit work

PR19_Kit

Hmm, makes you realise how beefy the Merlin was compared to a Peregrine.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yup. But I really like the look - the Spitfire front end is pretty slim and seems to fit well onto the Whirlwind's nacelles. IIRC, the Mossie engines I used in one of my conversions were more massive, and called for serious body work.

Will there be dust filters, for tropical use?

Mossie

Love a Whirlwind whiff Chris.  Planning any changes to the armament?

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 01, 2018, 08:15:48 AM
Yup. But I really like the look - the Spitfire front end is pretty slim and seems to fit well onto the Whirlwind's nacelles. IIRC, the Mossie engines I used in one of my conversions were more massive, and called for serious body work.

Maybe Hornet nacelles would be perfect?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 01, 2018, 08:15:48 AM

I thought about it, but decided against it. Hurricanes used in the Burma campaign seem to have been a mixture of some with and some without and it was easier to use the standard intakes if I'm honest. Although not as easy as I thought because of some plastic melting on me because of a mixture of solvent glue and over zealous clamping  :banghead:

Anyway work continues and after another p.s.r. session I think one nacelle will be o.k. after a shot of primer whilst the other probably needs another p.s.r. session. Meantime the fuselage needed very little sanding of the seams,nor did the separate nose  :thumbsup:

The Whirlwind is a very attractive aircraft to my eye, however it must be said that a test fit of the wings to the fuselage shows that the new engines give her a much more pugnacious look, especially from head on.

I've got another 2 Airfix kits and 3 Special Hobby ones, including the 37mm cannon armed version so I may well be tackling a couple more in the near future. SH will be out of the box/paint whiff's, whilst the Airfix ones might be having an appointment with a razor saw and Greenstuff  :angel: