F-42B Tempest *** Finished *** Photos on page 2

Started by jalles, July 04, 2018, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

I wasn't able to finish the last two group builds by the deadline, but I'm not going to let that stop me from trying again (although with the busy summer the result may be the same). I want to build the replacement for the Eurofighter Typhoon. It seems like France and Germany are going forward with a future Rafale/Eurofighter replacement, in my thinking maybe the UK will jump in with the Yanks and be a partner in the Penetrating Counter Air (F-22 replacement) fighter (non-fighter??) that's being developed.

Unfortunately my brother-in-law's 3D printer isn't working so I've farmed out the printing to an outfit called 3DHubs. Here's what the top looks like:

As I've done in the past, I'm going to smooth out the 3D print and use it as a mold for vacuforming. My current vacuform machine is too small, so I'm going to have to build a new one of those too.  Did I mention I probably won't finish?

Also, if someone has a good name, like Typhoon or Raptor let me know.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

jalles

Quote from: Tophe on July 04, 2018, 10:31:06 PM
impressive silhouette! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm hoping it will only improve!

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 04, 2018, 08:45:22 PM
Tempest

Peregrine

Hey Old Wombat, thanks for the suggestions!  I like Tempest for the UK version!  Peregrine for the US version is good, as it fits in with falcon, eagle, and raptor. That being said I'm not sure if it's aggressive enough.

If the UK adopts a US design, do they always rename it?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jalles on July 05, 2018, 05:28:25 PM

If the UK adopts a US design, do they always rename it?

Sadly no.  :banghead:

Currently we're lumbered with the RAF calling the F-35Bs 'Lightnings', for crying out loud.

Considering many of their Airships probably flew REAL Lightnings, the ones with the engines of top of each other, you'd have thought they had more sense!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

I think I finally have the molds smoothed out.  This thing is going to be a bit of a beast, bigger than an F-15 and slightly shorter than an SU-27. The picture below is with a YF-23, which was also a pretty big fighter.

Top:

Bottom:

Compared to the YF-23:

I'm still trying to figure out armament.  I'm currently thinking of one of the following:

12 AIM-120
9 Meteor
4 Meteor plus 2 Storm Shadow

Or some combo of Meteor and AIM-120.  Obviously all armament would be internal.

AeroplaneDriver

Directed Energy weapons (pew pew!) may end up driving the size of the next generation of fighters as the energy requirements may require large generators driven by large engine accessory cases.   Love the design so far.  The next gen of BVR and Stand Off weapons combined with UCAVs may also make a small, agile fighter a thing of the past.  Or at least one half of a combat system that will include large laser firing, missile carrying, drone motherships.   I see this one as the latter part of that equation.  Loving it!!!  :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Something similar to that was unveiled at Farnborough today  ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44848294

Looking really good
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jalles

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2018, 06:39:20 AM
Something similar to that was unveiled at Farnborough today  ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44848294

Looking really good

Old Wombat nailed the name!  I wish this would have come out before I started  :-\

Mossie

This'll be good. :thumbsup:

You've inspired me to have a crack at scratch building something, using a similar technique to your Marauder.  I'm awaiting some materials, itching to get started.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

Gotta be honest, this one looks far better than the "real" Tempest unveiled today at Farnborough. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 16, 2018, 12:22:59 PM
Gotta be honest, this one looks far better than the "real" Tempest unveiled today at Farnborough.

Very much so  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jalles

Well despite the fact that there haven't been many updates, I've been slowly plugging away at this project.

The first thing that I needed to get done was to build a bigger vacuform box.  Well that's done:

And since the vacuform is done, I actually have parts:

The top is molded clear, I gave it a quick primer just to see how it really turned out.

Unfortunately the mold (which is plastic) started to bend at the wingtips and near the exhausts, so those parts have been removed and I'll have to build them back up.

I'm currently working on the inlets.  I've used apoxy sculpt to thicken them up a bit.  As usual, I'm really far behind. Luckily there are no vertical stabilizers and it's a relatively easy shape to work with (and paint).  The hard part will be getting the landing gear and weapons bays sorted.

RAFF-35

What a beautiful looking build  :o maybe 'Crow' or 'Raven' as a name perhaps?
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up