Shorts Bronco GA.1

Started by kitbasher, July 01, 2018, 01:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Battered deconstructed part built second-hand (from Kit) Hasegawa OV-10A to be rebuilt as an Aztazou-powered RAF Bronco operated in the 1970s Dhofar campaign.  Pics to follow.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AS.12

Sounds like the sort of thing Shorts would have built under license.   Nice and boxy too, just what they liked!

kitbasher

Shorts license build.  Yes a very good thought that hadn't crossed my mind, so it'll be the Shorts Bronco GA.1.  That then explains the Aztazous.

So some progress this afternoon.  Showing are the kit parts plus some accessories.  The plasticine being used for nose weight has been removed, the props/spinners removed from their mountings, the tail booms reassembled and the interior painted a generic dark grey.

A bit of boring out of the engine fronts will be needed to fit the Aeroclub Aztazou fronts.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Good heavens, I'd forgotten that old thing.

Glad it's being used for something good anyway.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Twin-boom is always good. It will be good in the RAF too, after the Vampire/Argosy and so on. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

Panel line scribing at the mo, plus nose weighting, sorting out the Aztazou fittings, that sort of stuff.  Nothing exciting.  Pics likely towards the end of the weekend.

kitbasher

Okeydiddleydokily.

Scribing all done, just need to smooth things off and run some liquid cement down the panel lines to finish them off.  The Aztazou fairings are sorted and new exhausts made out of a chopped and drilled out wheel from the spares box.  Cockpit rebuilt with some basic detail added.  That was fun - honestly, I really enjoyed doing that; a mix of fitting plastic card shapes pre-and post fuselage pod reassembly, followed by fitting the weapon stubs and the very end of the fuselage pod.

A bit of history behind this build.  Bought the Bronco part done from Mr Spackman.  Disassembled the kit with a view to create a 'British Bronco' to be named 'Blackburn Firedog' (name inspired by the Malayan Campaign name).  The fuselage pod was chopped up to take the front end of a battered Matchbox Hawk T1, and the rear end of a Matchbox Me 410 fuselage.  No twin-boomer, of course.  the tailplanes were leftovers from the FROG Hornet that gave up its wings for my Gloster Mercury (http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,17678.msg264030.html#msg264030), not sure what I was going to do about the fin.  Anyway it got all too complicated and at the moment  need simple, straightforward builds.  When I retire I'll have time for more complex whifs I'm sure.

Have already decided on the colour scheme - Dark earth/Middle Stone uppers, Medium Sea Grey undersides.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on July 29, 2018, 05:03:35 AM

When I retire I'll have time for more complex whifs I'm sure.

Hah! Wishful thinking on your part Dave!

I thought that too, but there's SO much to do, mainly catching up on stuff I didn't have time to do while working, that you run out of 'spare time'!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2018, 08:40:12 AM

I thought that too, but there's SO much to do, mainly catching up on stuff I didn't have time to do while working, that you run out of 'spare time'!

Yup, no idea where my time goes, and I'm very glad of that  :thumbsup: have a mate who's retired and bored out of his skull  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Preliminary filling done, musn't forget to scribe the boom that's not been scribed yet.  Also it's clear there's a gapat the wing join that'll need prepping before I fit the wing.

JayBee

HA!

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitbasher

Initial cockpit painting done.  PSR continues.  Wing fitted.  SNEB pods assembled.  Decided not to fit a Hawk T.1 20mm cannon pod.

kitbasher

Booms and the tailplane assembled.  Now the fiddly stuff begins.....

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 30, 2018, 03:03:29 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2018, 08:40:12 AM

Yup, no idea where my time goes, and I'm very glad of that  :thumbsup: have a mate who's retired and bored out of his skull  :-\

More time when you retire??  Who thought that one up?  I really don't know how I ever managed to get to work with all of the things I'm doing now........which reminds me, I really must find time to post the story of the Handley Page Hullavington late 1940's jet transport.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet