Hawker Siddeley Harrier B: Finished pics page 6.

Started by zenrat, July 01, 2018, 12:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Thought I could get a bit of a start on this before not touching it for a month due to my other commitment.

The concept is for a Harrier B - a cheaper. non V/STOL Harrier.  I was inspired by the F-35 (although no version of the F-35 can be described as "cheaper").

Harrier B The Start 01-07-2018 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

So far I have done some painting of insidey bits, sliced off the tip of the first finger of my left hand*, and glued together two fuselages in preparation for slicing and dicing (hopefully of the styrene and not my flesh).
The MiG 27 fuselage is going to provide the jet exhaust and the rear undercarriage bays.

Harrier B WIP 01-07-18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Hasegawa Harrier kit I am using is a 1969 mould and has the intakes moulded separately.  They fit very poorly and will require much PSR.
However, so will the rest of it when I have finished cutting and pasting.  Which was one reason for choosing it from the five Harriers in the stash (I have no idea why - it's not like I am a particularly rabid fan of them.  It's just something which happened).
The other reasons were that it has very faint raised detail (easy to sand off) and I have two of them crammed into one box.

*A blood sacrifice - should ensure it's a good build.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Quick and dirty concept sketch.  Paintjob will be RW RAF using the kit decals.

Harrier B 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Snowtrooper

Takeoff is going to melt the tarmac and when landing care must be taken not to collapse the front leg by having too small angle of attack, otherwise a solid-looking conversion ;D

zenrat

Details schmetails.   :rolleyes:
Here is another picture.
Harrier B 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Angle of attack may not be so extreme (or may be greater) when I build it seeing as I didn't adjust the MiG parts to the same scale as the Harrier parts when I pasted them.
I guess we'll find out in due time.
Fred

NARSES2

Need's a longer nose ? Then part of me thinks it might start looking a little like a distant relative of a Grumman F.11 Tiger ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I'm not sure which variant of the Harrier the Hasegawa kit is meant to represent but the box art looks pretty close to the GR1 I used the picture of.
The idea is to keep as much Harrier A as possible.  It would be very easy to get carried away and start extending the wings and so on and so forth but I don't want to do that.
Given the forward location of the engine it is going to have a very long exhaust as drawn.
So maybe something like this...
Harrier B 04 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
...looks less Tiger and more Harrier.
Fred

nighthunter

STOL Harrier? I do like the idea of a longer nose and the first level design.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

The Big Gimper

Nice. The Harrier IMHO has been under utilized.  :thumbsup:
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Nick

The nose from a GR.3A would be good for this, or maybe the radar nose from a SHAR.

zenrat

Cutting and gluing has commenced.
Harrier B WIP 28-07-18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

zenrat

Cutting and gluing continues...
Harrier B WIP 31-07-18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

This caught my imagination at Cosford and the concept may be incorporated.
Cosford 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Dizzyfugu

That's cool. I've been thinking of a de-VTOLized Harrier, too, and ideas ended with either MiG-23/27 or Jaguar donor parts, primarily because of the landing gear arrangement.
Looking forward to this one's development.  :thumbsup:

lenny100

did mine a few years ago using vampire parts to create a twin boomer
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 31, 2018, 03:33:40 AM
...Looking forward to this one's development.  :thumbsup:

Me too.  I'm making a lot of this up as I go.

Quote from: lenny100 on July 31, 2018, 03:56:09 AM
did mine a few years ago using vampire parts to create a twin boomer

I didn't think of a twin boomer.  Although my concept is to retain as much Harrier A as possible.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2018, 04:02:32 AM

I didn't think of a twin boomer.  Although my concept is to retain as much Harrier A as possible.

Isn't that a P.1216?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit