Fairchild/BAe A-10K Thunderbolt GA.1

Started by Spey_Phantom, June 26, 2018, 09:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Update:

paintwork is now mostly completed, should be ready for decals soon  :mellow:

Landinggear corrections, as seen on pictures the rear wheels are not fully retracted.

and here's what i have planned for the payload, a little more bang to add to the BRRRRRRRTTT  :wacko:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Looking good.

I love your "on the bench" update  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

FINISHED  ;D

after a series of small painting sessions, ive finally finished my first build.
to shorten building time and to save my sanity, ive fixed the weapons on the pylons with 2-second glue.

Back Story:

After "Operation: Granby" (Desert Storm) in 1991, it came clear to the RAF that Close Air Support provided by Tornado, Jaguars & Buccaneers was inefficient, the aircraft were too fast and didnt have a lot of loiter time over the battlefield. with eyes on potential future conflics, the Royal Air Force needed an aircraft that can cover Royal Army troops over the battlefield for longer periods of time and with sufficient firepower to provide longer term support.

to provide CAS, the RAF already ordered the updated Harrier GR.5/7, but the aircraft lacked the range and was vulnerable to ground fire.
after an evaluation, the American Fairchild (Boeing) A-10 Thunderbolt seemed like the ideal aircraft, not only  did it have a longer lioter time and payload then the Harrier, it also provided the pilot with more cockpit armour. however, due to the aircraft being out of production for a number of years, the RAF was forced to buy secondhand aircraft. in total, the order consisted of only 20 airframes, as these were all the USAF had in storage as surplus. British Aerospace made some modifications to the aircraft to tailor them to RAF operational requirements. the refueling boom reciever was removed and replaced with a retractable IFR probe on the starboard side of the cockpit. the pylons were also modified to carry british ordanance. all A-10K Thunderbolt GA.1's are operated by 20 (AC) Squadron, basad at RAF Wittering. in 2014, all aircraft were upgraded to the GA.2 standard.

the Model:

the model is a Revell 1/144 A-10A Thunderbolt II, decals are from a Revell Harrier GR.7, stenciling is from a Heller A-10 kit.
weapons have been gathered from the spares box and a Revell Tornado GR.1A kit.
since the revell kits landinggear is quite innacurate, its built in a wheels-up version.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

That works Nils  :thumbsup:

Particularly like the tail and have to remind myself it's 1/144.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Nice one Nils ! Who wouldn't want an A-10 in their air arm ? Surely not the guys on the ground  :thumbsup:

Looks great in that colour. I love the two tanks, and the AAR probe is a nice touch.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?