RAF Centenary GB - Discussion thread

Started by NARSES2, June 20, 2018, 03:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 21, 2018, 06:57:02 AM

Ah, the joys of rigging...!  :rolleyes:

What joys may they be?

I've only ever built one bi-plane and that was one too many!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 21, 2018, 06:57:02 AM
Ah, the joys of rigging...!  :rolleyes:

Which is why I'm looking at the recently released Junkers D.1 for my first Wingnut Wings kit  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Devilfish

Being that I love all things aeronautical and British military, I may have to peruse my stash for something suitable.....

Dizzyfugu

Ah, I found another potential aircraft project for this GB, something naval, post WWII.

loupgarou

If I manage to get my modelling mojo back, AND if my right shoulder stops hurting like hell...  :-\
I have a few half-built RAF models , so I could put a few RAF100 spin-offs in the general projects section.  ;)
I'd need to clear some space before starting yet other builds.  :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitbasher

Quote from: kitbasher on June 20, 2018, 03:27:42 AM
I'm in!  Single seater jet.  Will also see if I can fit a single seater piston fighter.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, just remembered - a twin turboprop possibly.

Yes I'm overstretching myself here, so probably not.  Maybe.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

nighthunter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 22, 2018, 07:18:41 AM
Ah, I found another potential aircraft project for this GB, something naval, post WWII.
Did I help with that, lol
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

No, actually not at all.  ;)

One from the long idea list that's actually already there in kit form in the pile, but needs a good reason to tackle it.

zenrat

So post war Coastal Command then.
Or does Fleet Air Arm count as RAF?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 23, 2018, 03:58:20 AM

Oooooh, dangerous political ground there...............  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2018, 05:29:31 AM

Oooooh, dangerous political ground there...............  :-\

Indeed! Get the pitchforks out! I would think the FAA would not be eligible for a RAF group build  (but perhaps as a future theme).
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

AeroplaneDriver

Looking forward to this one, and hoping for several entries given the length of the build.  Early ideas include:

F-111K-no explanation needed
Harvard FG.1-ISTAR/CAS based on Raytheon T-6 Texan II c.2025 (only issue is one kit available in 1/48.
Tucano FG.1-As above based on A-29.  Kit readily available
Canberra F.10-Long Range missileer loaded with Red Deans
A handful of random "RAF in Vietnam" ideas...
Nice bright yellow NH-90 RAF Rescue helo

July is a busy month for me at work and I'm hoping to get to Oshkosh for the airshow, but hopefully I can get started on one fairly early.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

So post war Coastal Command then.

But that's a good question! I expected that, if any "associated" air force that has some connection to the British Commonwealth was eligible for the GB, so should any naval submission be? What about an Australian Navy aircraft? Green lights, and NOT for a RN aircraft?  :-\

NARSES2

I knew this would be asked and I must admit I've hummed and hahhed over the question of whether FAA models are within the scope of the GB and I've come down on the side of allowing them.

Why ?

Well the RNAS was one of the arms that became a founder member of the RAF. Through the 1920's and most of the 30's the FAA was "controlled" by the RAF. When you look at future plans for FAA fixed wing aircraft, the F-35, then it would appear that they will be operating them in conjunction with the RAF. So they are in and thus so are their colonial cousins.

Also as I've said before in some of my musings on this GB ; "in some areas I will be strict, in some I won't"   ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

The FAA and AAC can deffo be in:
a) in whiffworld FAA control never left the Air Ministry
b) in whiffworld the AAC merely continued the WW2 (and IIRC to the mid-50s) requirement to provide only pilots.
c) Lightning FG.1 (sorry, no F-35ing about in UK service for me!) allocation appears to be on a 'joint force' basis like the Harrier GR.9/T.10 basis.
e) AAC and FAA helicopters are part of the Joint Helicopter Force along with RAF Chinooks and Pumas.
f) AAC Islanders/Defenders are moving (have moved?) to RAF control.

All sorted!

And of course the whifworld 300 and 400 series WW2 squadrons kept their RAF links, so tons of opportunities for non-RAF stuff in RAF colours.

And RNZAF 75 Sqn only ever carried RAF roundels.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter