P-61 Black Widow- jet assist *finished*

Started by sandiego89, June 08, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

By 1944 as the Allied forces got closer and closer to the Japanese homeland, they began taking a pounding from Kamikaze and evening attacks.  It was anticipated that night attacks would worsen even more as the Allies prepared for operation Downfall- the actual invasion of the main Japanese islands.

A faster night fighter, with improved climb, but still with good long range capability was needed, but time constraints ruled out a clean sheet design.  Northrop responded with a mixed powerplant version of the P-61, with a turbojet in the rear fuselage pod of the Black Widow. The jet could be used for takeoff and intercepts, but was turned off for economical cruise, leaving the Black Widow with still impressive range and endurance.   The P-61J started test flying in late 1944, and several squadrons were in theatre by May, 1945.     

The Kit:  1/72 Old AMT/Frog P-61.  Scalemates site lists the FROG molds as 1965- do I get extra points for using an old FROG mold? 

The Plan:  Put a turbojet in the rear of the fuselage pod (Vampire style).   This was the former radar operators station, but with the deletion of the troublesome upper turret by many regular P-61 squadrons already, there had already been precedent of moving the radar operator up to the forward fuselage, freeing room in the rear of the center pod.

Comprehensive instructions  :o
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Tophe

Wonderful project! :wub: Please make it actually! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

A few months ago, I made the drawing of a jet P-61 but not with a central jet like Vampire, which is nicely completing the family, thanks!

sandiego89

Work started.  A basic kit (good for one week GB).  Lots of flash.  I think FROG/AMT used soap instead of styrene! One swipe with the sanding stick and you gouge out a canyon. 

Sea Fury for scale only.

Dave "Sandiego89"

Tophe

Good! And with the black plastic there: no need of paint! (unless the jet will come from a grey kit...) :-\ ;D

dogsbody

I see AMT added an extra clear part to represent the turret. The original FROG kit didn't have a turret.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

sandiego89

Quote from: dogsbody on June 11, 2018, 06:42:29 PM
I see AMT added an extra clear part to represent the turret. The original FROG kit didn't have a turret.

Chris

Interesting Chris, thank you for that.  The AMT boxing does indeed include the clear turret, but no guns. Interesting that AMT choose to do the turret in clear- perhaps cheaper and easier than colored styrene? A giant blob of clear sprue was also in the kit bag- I laid it out on the left wing for this picture.  I don't think it is part of the stand, but I have never seen this much excess in a kit.   Here is the turret on top of the "Gray Widow".  This is just a primer coat. I was worried about the poor quality of the plastic being able to take a coat of black. The AMT instructions do not even mention the turret (part 48). 

No sign of the FROG stand and circular mount as shown in your picture to display it in flight. 

So guess the AMT is not a total copy of the FROG. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

I told myself not to do anything extra for the one week GB, but the gaping holes in cockpit were just too much. The kit only comes with a simple partial floor under the pilot and gunner, a gunner seat and a half upper body for the pilot. No bulk heads, panels, cockpit sides. I won't go crazy, but I had to do something as you could see right Through the open wheel well. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Need an intake for the J-31 booster jet

Dave "Sandiego89"

TheChronicOne

Mighty ambitious!!

Go for the gusto!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

sandiego89

P-61J

Black Widow with jet assist, forward based in the Pacific, May 1945. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Tophe

TheChronicOne

That's fantastic! One of the coolest I've seen, for sure... and under a week!!!  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-