DONE +++ Hawker Sea Hawk T20 trainer (a.k.a. 'The Puffin')

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 06, 2018, 07:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Looks great! :mellow:  The only thing I'd suggest is maybe add a little extra framing to the main canopy using tape or strip styrene to hide the Strikemaster origins?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

I thought about that, too, but I will stick with it as it is. I like the more modern touch, instead of a retro greenhouse.

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Hawker Seahawk T 20; aircraft "A-256/XA454" of the Fleet Air Arm's 809 Naval Air Squadron; based on board of HMS Albion (R 07); 1959 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Hawker Seahawk T 20; aircraft "A-256/XA454" of the Fleet Air Arm's 809 Naval Air Squadron; based on board of HMS Albion (R 07); 1959 (Whif/Hobby Boss kit conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The Hawker Sea Hawk was a British single-seat jet fighter of the Royal Navy, built by Hawker Aircraft and its sister company, Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft. In the final years of the Second World War, Hawker's design team had become increasingly interested in developing a fighter aircraft that took advantage of the newly developed jet propulsion technology. On 1 September 1944, the first prototype of the company's latest piston engine fighter aircraft, the Hawker Fury/Sea Fury, conducted its maiden flight; it was this aircraft that would serve as the fundamental design basis for Hawker's first jet-powered aircraft, the P.1035, which was submitted for evaluation by the Air Ministry in November 1944.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The design was substantially modified in December 1944, leading to a new designation for the project, P.1040. The jet exhaust was moved from beneath the tail and re-designed as two short, split-lateral bifurcated exhausts, embedded in the trailing edge of the wing root. The tail plane was raised in order to clear the jet exhausts. The air intakes were moved to the wing root leading edge, similar to the contemporary de Havilland Vampire. The unusual bifurcated jet pipe reduced pressure losses in the jet pipe and had the additional advantage of freeing up space in the rear fuselage for fuel tanks, which gave the aircraft a longer range than many other early jets. The fuselage fuel tanks, being fore and aft of the engine, also provided for a stable center of gravity during flight. The absence of fuel tanks also meant that a thinner wing could be adopted without any loss of range. To ease manufacture, the elliptical wing form of the Fury was discarded in favor of a straight tapered wing design The P.1040 also featured a nose wheel undercarriage arrangement, the first for a Hawker-built aircraft, and the aircraft was armed with four 20mm Hispano-Suiza Mk. V cannons.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

In October 1945, Sydney Camm, Hawker's chief designer, being satisfied with the results generated from engineering mock-ups and wind tunnel testing, authorized the raising of a production order for a single prototype. In light of the diminished RAF interest in the project in the post-WWII era, allegedly due to the aircraft offering insufficient advances over the jet fighters already in service, a navalized version of the P.1040 was offered in January 1946 to the Admiralty as a fleet support fighter.

However, the Admiralty were not initially encouraging to Hawker's approaches, in part due the presence of the in-development jet-powered Supermarine Attacker aircraft, but the service was intrigued by the type's long-range capability, as well as by the promise of increased power from the Nene engine. Thus, in May 1946, the Naval Staff authorized the manufacture of three prototypes and a further test specimen.

On 2 September 1947, the first prototype, VP401, now called "Sea Hawk" and sometimes referred to as the Hawker N.7/46 after the related naval specification, conducted its maiden flight from RAF Boscombe Down.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

An initial order was received in November 1949, and shortly after the outbreak of the Korean War, an urgent operational demand for Britain's aircraft carriers, and thus their accompanying aircraft, had become apparent. The rate of production was substantially increased, and further orders for the Sea Hawk were soon placed. The first production Sea Hawk was the F 1, it first flew in 1951 and entered service two years later with 806 Squadron, first based at Brawdy, then transferred to the HMS Eagle. All Sea Hawks were in service by the mid-1950s and eventually over 500 were built in different versions, which soon became fighter bombers. Beyond these ever-improving variants, it was soon clear that a two seat variant would be necessary for naval operation transition training. Hawker responded to this request by the Admirality in 1952 with the T 20 variant.

The Sea Hawk T 20 was based on the FGA 3, the Sea Hawk's first fighter bomber version which could, beyond its gun armament, also carry offensive ordnance under its wings. In order to accommodate a crew of two, this advanced trainer variant received a completely new front section with a side-by side cockpit, fitted with duplicated flight controls and instrumentation, and a bulbous canopy that allowed both passengers an excellent field of view for carrier landings. In order to allow a seamless transition from initial trainings, the cockpit layout and much of the operational equipment fittings was very similar to that of the Percival Provost. A key feature for the era amongst the fittings in the cockpit was the Centralized Warning Panel, which alerted the pilots in the event of a number of unfavorable or hazardous conditions being detected, such as icing conditions, fire or oxygen failure.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

In order to compensate for a loss of directional stability due to the new cockpit section, the aircraft received a taller fin, which was also introduced to export versions of the Sea Hawk. As a weight saving measure and in order to keep the center of gravity within safe limits, the gun armament was reduced from four to two 20 mm Hispano cannon. The underwing hardpoints for bombs, unguided missiles and drop tanks were retained, so that the trainer could - with slight performance losses and a reduced ordnance load - fly the Sea Hawk's complete mission envelope.

After the T20's successful acceptance trials during late 1954 at 738 NAS at Lossiemouth, the FAA formally accepted the type in 1956. A total of 32 aircraft were produced and exclusively operated by the Royal Navy, where it quickly received the nickname "Puffin", due to its bulbous nose section.
The Sea Hawk T20's were distributed between 738 NAS (18 machines) for land-based conversion training and active, navel units, which received two or three trainers each for advanced training aboard of carriers.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Sea Hawks in Fleet Air Arm service began being phased out from first line service in 1958, the year in which the Supermarine Scimitar and de Havilland Sea Vixen entered service, both of which types would eventually replace the Sea Hawk in the fighter and attack role. The last front line Sea Hawk squadron, No. 806, disbanded at RNAS Brawdy on 15 December 1960, ending a very brief operational career for the Sea Hawk. Most Sea Hawks in second line service were withdrawn by the mid-1960s, the trainers were retired in 1967, but four of them were refurbished and sold to India, where they served until 1983, partly from the Indian aircraft carrier Vikrant.

General characteristics:
    Crew: One
    Length: 40 ft 5 in (12.34 m)
    Wingspan: 39 ft 0 in (11.89 m)
    Height: 9 ft 8 in (2,95 m )
                17 ft 8 in (5,39 m with folded wings)
    Wing area: 278 ft² (25.83 m²)
    Empty weight: 9,482 lb (4,305 kg)
    Loaded weight: 13,220 lb (5,996 kg)
    Max. takeoff weight: 16,150 lb (7,325 kg)

Powerplant:
    1× Rolls-Royce Nene 101 turbojet, rated at 5,000 lbf (22.24 kN) thrust

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 583 mph (940 km/h)
    Range: 480 mi (770 km)
    Service ceiling: 44,500 ft (13,564 m)
    Rate of climb: 5,700 ft/min (29.0 m/s)
    Wing loading: 48 lb/ft² (232 kg/m²)
    Thrust/weight: 0.38

Armament:
    2× 20 mm (0.79 in) Hispano Mk V cannons (200 RPG) in the lower front fuselage
    Underwing hardpoints and provisions to carry combinations of:
    16× 60 lb (27 kg) unguided 3" rockets or 8× 5" (127 mm) unguided HVAR rockets, and
    2× 500 lb (227 kg) bombs, or
    2 × 90 Imp gal (410 l) drop tanks

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

TheChronicOne

Brilliant!!!  I have a soft spot for trainers. This one looks like it rolled right of an actual factory because it's just so plausible and looks the part so well.  :wub: :wub:

Fab work, bruh!!
-Sprues McDuck-

AS.12

Wow, that is indeed totally believable.  Genius idea and well executed.  Get it into a museum tout de suite ;)

The only thing I think might have changed for the real-World is a taller fin for the increased keel; maybe swipe that from the Strikemaster too?

Doug K

PR19_Kit

Are you SURE that's a Whiff Thomas?  :-\

It looks far too plausible to me, and I'm sure I saw a couple of them flying with the Southern Air Wing RNVR at Benson when I lived there.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Excellent kitbash Thomas!

So, as I'm an undereducated Yank, were there proposals for sweeping the SeaHawk's wings? Has anyone here done a swept wing variant?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Well, Hawker did this stunt, and it eventually turned into the Hunter! I am just not certain at the moment, if there was a swept-wing Sea Hawk with the bifurcated jet pipe (without digging trough literature)? And I am not certain whether Hunter wings would fit onto a Sea Hawk - from the belly I'd say they are a size too large? But with a swpt tail and stabilizers?

However, thanks a lot for the positive feedback. I must admit that the result looks better than expected - especially the bulbous nose. But it blends into the rest quite well. And I think that the orange trim also adds a lot to the convincing look. And it helps distracting from a few blemishes...  ;)

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 16, 2018, 01:55:02 PM
Are you SURE that's a Whiff Thomas?  :-\

It looks far too plausible to me, and I'm sure I saw a couple of them flying with the Southern Air Wing RNVR at Benson when I lived there.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Second that.
My friend's dad's mate's cousin used to work on them... :mellow:

The bulbous nose doesn't look out of place at all.  An Intruder looks more like a kit bash than this.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Lovely work, Thomas, I do like the idea of a two seat Sea Hawk.  Makes me wonder what a tandem version would look like.  As usual, fast work!  I like the addition of the older Sky painted tanks,  details like that just add to it's credibility.

Quote from: nighthunter on June 17, 2018, 12:31:15 AM
Excellent kitbash Thomas!

So, as I'm an undereducated Yank, were there proposals for sweeping the SeaHawk's wings? Has anyone here done a swept wing variant?

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 17, 2018, 01:32:45 AM
Well, Hawker did this stunt, and it eventually turned into the Hunter! I am just not certain at the moment, if there was a swept-wing Sea Hawk with the bifurcated jet pipe (without digging trough literature)?

Hawker P.1052 was the swept wing Sea Hawk (more accurately a modified P.1040 Sea Hawk prototype).  It later became the P.1081, modified with a straight through jet pipe.  This was the design that led to the Hunter.  Both have been done as resin kits.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

That looks so "right" it's amazing, and in a week  :o  :bow:
Decals my @r$e!

Glenn Gilbertson

That's a very smart Puffin - I really like the colour scheme! :thumbsup: