VF-4A of the VAT-127 aggressor squadron (Macross)

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 24, 2018, 12:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Macross +++ 1:72 Stonewell/Belcom VF-4A "Lightning III", aircraft "(7)01 Red" of the VAT-127 "Zentraedi Busters" aggressor squadron; personal mount of Flight Leader Maxim Dadashov; Choir Flight Academy, Mongolia, 2016 (WAVE kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Macross +++ 1:72 Stonewell/Belcom VF-4A "Lightning III", aircraft "(7)01 Red" of the VAT-127 "Zentraedi Busters" aggressor squadron; personal mount of Flight Leader Maxim Dadashov; Choir Flight Academy, Mongolia, 2016 (WAVE kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The VF-4 Lightning III began development in 2005 under the initial designation of the VF-X-4. Developed as a successor craft to the VF-1 Valkyrie, the VF-4 Lightning III was designed as a variable fighter that emphasized mobility in outer space.

The VF-4's development began with the prototype VF-X-4 and the VF-X-3. However, when Earth was devastated in Space War I the loss of military facilities also resulted in loss of the VF-X-3. Amongst the airframes under development exist prototype No. 1 craft, VF-X-4V1 and the trial manufactured VF-4A-0 and thus the surviving VF-X-4 was developed and completed as the VF-4 Lightning III. A trial-produced variable fighter, designated the VF-4A-0, was also built using 25% VF-1 Valkyrie parts.

VF-X-4 underwent flight tests, including being test piloted by Space War I veteran Hikaru Ichijo. Once successful operational models were ready, the VF-4 began mass production on February 2012. Initial deployment began on the SDF-2 Megaroad-01 in VF-1 Skull and SVF-184 Iron Chiefs Squadrons on September 2012. When the SDF-2 Megaroad launched in the same month, Hikaru Ichijō flew a VF-4 alongside the new colonization vessel as the ship lifted from Earth and began exploration outside of the Sol system.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

As a result of integrating existing Overtechnology and Zentradi-series technology, the VF-4 had a characteristic three-hulled-type airframe structure remarkably different from the conservative VF-1 Valkyrie design. The three-hulled style of the VF-4 increased fuselage volume, propellant capacity and armament load capability that all resulted in a 40% improved combat ability over the VF-1. Fully transformable, the VF-4 could shift into Battroid and Gerwalk modes like previous variable fighters.

However, the VF-4 did suffer minor mobility problems within an atmosphere and the new type was primarily deployed to the Space Air Corps of emigrant fleets to serve as the main fighter craft of the UN Forces in the 2020s. It was because flight performance within the atmosphere was not as good as the VF-1 that the VF-5000 Star Mirage became the main combat craft within atmosphere, while the VF-4 operated mainly in outer space.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Built as a space fighter, the VF-4 primary weapons became two large beam cannons, though the craft was capable of carrying a GU-11 gun pod in Gerwalk and Battroid modes. In addition to the powerful primary beam guns, the Lightning III also featured twelve semi-recessed long-range missiles, as well as underwing pylons for additional missiles and other stores.
The VF-4 was only slightly heavier than the VF-1, but featured considerably more powerful engines, making the craft ideal for operations deeper out in space. The Lightning III was also much faster in the atmosphere than the older VF-1, although the VF-4's flight mobility performance was not as great.

The VF-4 was also notable as the first production variable fighter to utilize a HOTAS system (Hands On Throttle And Stick) for the cockpit HMI (Human-Machine Interface). Furthermore, the VF-4's cockpit was laid out as a single hexagonal MFD (Multi-Function Display) that proved so successful that it was retrofitted into "Block 6" VF-1 fighters, as well as providing the template for all future variable fighter cockpits.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

By the end of 2015, mass production of the VF-1 series at last had come to an end. From 2020 onward, the VF-4 Lightning III officially replaced the VF-1 to become the main variable fighter of U.N. Forces. Production of the VF-4 continued for a decade and ceased in 2022, with a total of 8,245 Lightning III variable fighters produced.
The VF-4 variable fighter remained in active service into the late 2040's but was complemented or substituted in many branches of the UN Forces by the cheaper and more atmospherically maneuverable VF-5000 Star Mirage. The VF-4 Lightning III was eventually replaced as the main variable fighter of U.N. Spacy in the later half of the 2030s by the VF-11 Thunderbolt.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

General characteristics:
    Manufacturer: Stonewell/Bellcom
    Equipment Type: Variable fighter
    Government: U.N. Spacy, U.N. Space Marines
    Introduction: 2012
    Operational Deployment: September 2012

Dimensions:
    Accommodation: pilot only
    Fighter Mode: wingspan 12.65 meters; height 5.31 meters; length 16.8 meters
    Mass: empty 13.95 metric tons
    Structure: space metal frame, SWAG energy conversion armor

Powerplant:
    2x Shinnakasu/P&W/Roice FF-2011 thermonuclear turbine engines,
      rated at 14,000 kg (137.34 kN) each
    2x dorsal rocket engines (mounted on top of the main thermonuclear turbine engines)
    2x ramjet engines (embedded into the inner wing sections)
    P&W HMM-1A high-maneuverability vernier thrusters

Performance:
    Fighter Mode: Mach 3.02 at 10,000 m
                Mach 5.15 at 30,000+ m
    Thrust-to-weight ratio: (empty) 2.01 (rating for turbine engine thrust ONLY)
    g limit: unknown

Armament:
2 x large beam cannons in forward engine nacelles
12x semi-recessed long range missiles (mounted on engine nacelles and ventral fuselage)
8x underwing pylons for missiles, gun pods an/or drop tanks

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Well, in the end, it's not a carbon copy of the inspiring illustration, but rather another machine from the same squadron, with more creative freedom. I stayed as true to the benchmark as possible, though, and I like the result. Finally, after almost 25 years, I can tick this project off of my long ideas and inspiration list.
Considering the kit itself, I am really torn. I am happy that there finally is a VF-4 IP kit at all after so many years, but to me it's a contradictive offer. I am not certain about the target group, because for a toy-like snap-fit kit it's too detailed and expensive, but for the serious modeler it has some major flaws.  :-\

The biggest issue is the kit's horrendous price – even if it would be more detailed or contained some fine resin or PE parts (which I would not want, just a "good" plastic kit). Sure, you can put some effort into the kit and improve it, e .g. in the cockpit or with a donor landing gear, but weak points like the "flat" missiles and the lack of proper bays for them are IMHO poor. For the relatively huge price tag I'd hoped for a "better" OOB offer. However, the kit is easy to build and a good representation of the Lightning III, and I am curious if there are kit variants in WAVE's pipeline?

NARSES2

I may not understand the genre but I can recognise a stunning model when I see one  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Stunning.
You may consider it to be a flawed kit but you made it look great.
Well done Dizz.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Well' it's not really flawed - just, in some areas, very simple, to a point that I cannot understand it when I look at the general high standard of fit. Goes together like a charm, though, and for an OOB snap-fit kit the result is very convincing.

Glad you like it - quite an exotic topic.  :rolleyes: