F6F-5 Hellcat-Naval Ordnance Test Station, 1952 XAAM-N-7 Sidewinder Trials

Started by AeroplaneDriver, April 17, 2018, 02:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I just finished this little build I started Friday, and realized that it actually fits within the scope of this GB, so I figured what the heck, I'd post it here too.  Hope that's ok. 

Kit is the  1/48 Hasegawa F6F-5, paints were Tamiya Primer rattle can for the white, Hataka USN Orange.  The missile is a 1/48 Matra Magic with some trimming of the fins and styrene tube on the back to extend it.  Design is based on the actual XAAM-N-7 Sidewinder prototype.  The centerline tank was modified as an instrumentation tank with some steel rod antennas added, and a few other instrumentation antennas added.

Grumman F6F-5 Naval Ordnance Test Station China Lake, 1952

This Hellcat was part of the development fleet for the XAAM-N-7 Sidewinder in the early 60s.  Most Hellcats involved in the program were used as target drones, but a single Hellcat joined the Skyraiders that were used as test launch aircraft.  The aircraft is depicted prior to a test mission were it became one of the few Hellcats to shoot down another Hellcat during a successful test launch against a F6F-5K drone

This aircraft was later scheduled to be used as a target drone during a 1956 Sidewinder test firing, but a mechanical issue with the aircraft's starter led to an alternate drone being used.  This airframe luckily escaped the fate of its sisters and after decades in desert storage was restored to it's 1952 test configuration and is currently on display at the US Naval Museum of Armament and Technology at China Lake. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Glenn Gilbertson

zenrat

I just wish the facility had been named Station. Naval. Ordinance Testing.   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 03, 2018, 03:20:08 AM
I just wish the facility had been named Station. Naval. Ordinance Testing.   ;D

Now if it had been the Royal Navy - Bag,brown,puke, use of  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.