Author Topic: F7U-3 Cutlass conversion  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Scotaidh

• Kitbasher
Re: F7U-3 Cutlass conversion
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2018, 09:37:18 am »
As I was looking through my stash, I found an F86 canopy that looks like it would work.  Might try some photoshop to see what might work.

I put my F-86 canopy - the sliding part - and the Cutlass windshield together.  The width is right; the angle at which the two pieces meet is a bit off, but sandable.  There is very little clearance for the ejection seat, though - it seemed to me to be an 'interference' fit, due to the thickness of the material.

Whilst I'm wishing for the moon, it'd need to be a bit taller and a bit longer - half again as long - to be perfect ...
Ancient Ogre Proverb:
"It's dark in the dark when it's dark."

Offline Scotaidh

• Kitbasher
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2018, 09:41:39 am »

F7U-3 Cutlass - 078
Hardpoints, yes. There were two anyway, inboard of the undercarriage fairings, for fuel tanks. With the centre-line tank they become moot, so I'm using them for the Sparrows. Trouble is, the Sparrows' "wings" are longer than the pylons are tall, so the tips of the "wings" impact the fuselage - not cool. I have an order in to Evergreen for some square tubing (and one of their "Surprize!" packs, 'cos I love those), and as soon as it gets here I'll build some spacers to make the pylons longer. Yes, I know I could have just scratched some out of card stock, but I wanted the square tubing anyway - I'm out, so ...

F7U-3 Cutlass - 079
Payload! The Sparrows are from the Phantom kit already raided for turkey feathers. The Sidewinders are from an F-18 kit - when I build that I'll have to get imaginative for replacements - Matra Magics, perhaps, to prove cross-compatibility?

F7U-3 Cutlass - 080
Close-up of the pitot and the other 'under-the-cockpit-miniscule-bump'. The "bump" had to be scratched - the original disappeared. My eyes aren't very good, so to me the original looked kinda like a half-round conic section - some kind of scoop or optical sensor, perhaps? I dunno, and I can't find it labeled in any Cutlass picture I can find, so ...
FYI, Oldsmobile named their Cutlass car after this - well, the original version - aircraft.

F7U-3 Cutlass - 081
These are my original attempt at the outboard pylons - quick and dirty. :( I don't like them - they will be modified.

F7U-3 Cutlass - 082
Pylon modification underway! I trimmed down the aft edge to the same height as the u/c fairings. A couple of seconds worth of Dremel work with some filing follow-up. Then some putty-work to smooth things over and fair things over ... Now my least favourite part of painting and PSR - drying time!

F7U-3 Cutlass - 083
Side shot to show the new outboard pylon profile ...
Ancient Ogre Proverb:

Offline Scotaidh

• Kitbasher
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2018, 02:32:34 pm »

F7U-3 Cutlass - 084
I thought the aircraft could use a braking parachute - but what happened to Mr. Schockly's "Shockwave" jet truck showed the perils of off-centre braking, so I had to add a housing centre-line above the fuel dump line.

(I will admit to the thought that if one were closely pursued the two controls could be activated simultaneously, leaving a sticky ball of flaming nylon in one's pursuer's face.)   :wacko:

F7U-3 Cutlass - 085
Sanding has been accomplished, and the missile rails re-installed. Next for a lick of paint, some time to let it all really dry, and we'll be ready for the dreaded Canopy Experiments. ;)
Ancient Ogre Proverb: