Cuban Missile Crisis: The French Response

Started by The Rat, April 02, 2018, 10:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Saturday, October 27, 1962. President Kennedy clasped his fingers, scanned the report on the desk, and then looked his Secretary of Defense directly in the eye. "How dangerous are these things?" "Not very," replied Mr. McNamara, "Intelligence reports say they're a few years away from being reliable, right now they're having problems with just about everything from launch platform to engines to guidance." "So we should be able to counter them now, and with progress, in the future?" asked the President. "Certainly, Sir, our projections show no indication that they could cause any imbalance of power." There was a long pause, and Kennedy rose and walked to the window, seeming to draw strength and comfort from the warm shafts of sunlight streaming through. He turned back. "Then we'll let Mr. Castro have his new toys, but make certain everyone else knows it, no secrets."

And thus it was that Cuba was the recipient of a new weapon in the Russian surface-to-air missile arsenal, the 2K12 "Kub" (NATO reporting name: SA-6 "Gainful"). Its protracted development had led to many changes, both in the missile and at the desks in the engineering offices, and it was still months away from its first successful intercept of a target. Cuba already had the capable S-75 "Dvina" (NATO designation SA-2 Guideline), which had brought down Gary Powers in 1960, and Major Rudolf Anderson on the same day as Kennedy's decision.

Tensions in the region abated, but there was an immediate change in strategy for local and colonial governments. France was concerned about their territory of French Guiana, and took steps to increase their defence by ordering light bombers to defend it. They decided on the well-proven Douglas A-3 Skywarrior, which also gave them the option of shipboard operations should they proceed with the new and larger 'Verdun' class aircraft carriers that were being investigated.

Whew, lot of work on this old beastie. Paints are Krylon Bahamas Blue for the topside, underside is good old Tamiya Fine White Primer. Nose is Model Master 4722 Radome Tan. Decals sourced from various sheets. The blue dot on the upper wing roundels is much lighter than the others, put that down to whatever you want. I'm just glad to have it done. A couple of pictures are rather softly focused, might reshoot later. Thanks to Leigh Eaton for the model, and if anyone knows his whereabouts, see if you can get him back here, he's missed.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Hobbes

Doug K

Weaver

It looks gorgeous in that scheme - well done! :wub: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on April 02, 2018, 02:34:02 PM
It looks gorgeous in that scheme - well done! :wub: :thumbsup:

Couldn't put it better. Well done Ratty  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Cobra

this is a Superb Build :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i feel this Aircraft wouldn't Look Too out of place in an Episode of Stingray,Thunderbirds,Captain Scarlet,or Joe 90! Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr