Author Topic: B-52 "FICON": B-52 carrying F-104's *The moment of truth*  (Read 1440 times)

Offline loupgarou

• Full scale Arrow in basement
Re: B-52 "FICON": B-52 carrying F-104's *work started*
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 10:26:38 am »

And, important, an heating system must be provided for the F-104 pilot, else he would be frosen solid.  :o
I remember having read something about this concerning the real FICON tests.

On the production FICONs the RF-84F pilot stayed in the B-36 until it was time to launch, and then climbed down into the cockpit of the Thunderflash. I' m not sure that'd be possible with a wing mounted F-104.

Iwas really thinking of earlier attempts: Earlier wingtip coupling experiments included Tip Tow, which were attempts at carrying fighters connected to the wingtips of bombers.

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FICON_project

In some magazine I had read more detailed reports that included the cold problem, with the fighter engine shut off.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Offline salt6

• Makes own decals
    • http://www.salt6.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 11:47:18 am »
I was thinking the F-104s could be used like the Hound Dog missiles carried by the B-52s.

About a third of the way down.  Two extra engines without worry about lifespan would be a bonus.   

In 1960, SAC developed procedures so that the B-52 could use the Hound Dog's J52 engine for additional thrust while the missile was located on the bomber's two pylons. This helped heavily laden B-52s fly away from their airbases faster, before enemy nuclear weapons obliterated them. The Hound Dog could then be refueled from the B-52's wing fuel tanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-28_Hound_Dog

Steve B

"The time has come,
         The Walrus said,
     To talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships
         and sealing wax
      Of cabbages and kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
      And whether pigs have wings."

Offline sandiego89

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 02:33:59 pm »
Don't worry folks, our intrepid 104 drivers will be supplied with heat and air-  worked for the X-15 and even the Hound Dogs could be topped off with fuel after they were used to assist with the B-52 take off. 

Forward basing, launch and egress routes were also carefully considered with the B-52/F-104 FICON program to minimize time in the cockpit and return profiles  :thumbsup:

No jet engine sound maker supplied with this one Kit- think that was only with the first pressings.  I will have to make my own jet engine sounds after Mrs.Sandiego89 goes to bed....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:36:36 pm by sandiego89 »
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Offline sandiego89

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 04:37:49 pm »
Commenced with the paint job.  Going with the early SAC natural metal and anti-flash white on the undersurfaces.  Gray primer on the fuselage.  White on the undersides of the wing and the flaps.  Kit allows flaps to transition up or down.  Interesting that the B-52 only has an up or down flap setting- no intermediate flap. 

Of course something as simple as under-flash white turns up a staggering amount of variations when you start to look at examples in my references and on-line.  White under the fuselage only, white half way up the engine nacelles, full white nacelles with pylons natural metal, full white nacelles and pylons.....   :banghead:  And I am just scratching what "natural metal" means.  Like the B-36 there seems to be significant variations in schemes whn you dig a bit deeper. 

Again very impressed with the quality of the molds.  Nice kit so far. 

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:41:15 pm by sandiego89 »
Dave "Sandiego89"

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 12:41:24 am »
That kit was a revelation when it first came out, not only for its size. Everyone commented on the quality, but that was back when Monogram WAS Monogram.

Does it still have the three little lugs on the wings and fuselage to enable you to hang it up in the roof with lengths of string?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Ed S

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 01:04:49 pm »
Something I have seen with other builds of this kit. The big wings are quite heavy and can cause the back of the fuselage to split if it isn't well glued. I build one of these last year (RW) and after I glued the fuselage together and added the wings, I added epoxy to the wing joints and upper fuselage. I found one of the epoxy dispensers like a syringe with a long nozzle that mixes the epoxy as you squirt it in place. It worked.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Offline sandiego89

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 02:08:01 pm »
Something I have seen with other builds of this kit. The big wings are quite heavy and can cause the back of the fuselage to split if it isn't well glued. I build one of these last year (RW) and after I glued the fuselage together and added the wings, I added epoxy to the wing joints and upper fuselage. I found one of the epoxy dispensers like a syringe with a long nozzle that mixes the epoxy as you squirt it in place. It worked.

Ed

Thanks Ed, great tip! 

That kit was a revelation when it first came out, not only for its size. Everyone commented on the quality, but that was back when Monogram WAS Monogram.

Does it still have the three little lugs on the wings and fuselage to enable you to hang it up in the roof with lengths of string?

Yes, Kit, the mold still has the three lugs/eyelets and a circular piece so it can be hung for the ceiling.  Hmmm...... wonder if Mrs. Sandiego89 would notice...

Dave "Sandiego89"

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 03:48:45 pm »

Yes, Kit, the mold still has the three lugs/eyelets and a circular piece so it can be hung for the ceiling.  Hmmm...... wonder if Mrs. Sandiego89 would notice...

Almost certainly.

The late Mrs_PR19 said about my newly purchased 1/72 B-36 some 30 odd years ago, 'Hmmmm, if you plan on hanging that up you better get some brighter light bulbs!'  ;D

I solved that problem by not actually building it...........................yet.  ;)
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline KiwiZac

• The Zac Attack is Back!
  • The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
    • Zac on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 12:28:34 pm »
The late Mrs_PR19 said about my newly purchased 1/72 B-36 some 30 odd years ago, 'Hmmmm, if you plan on hanging that up you better get some brighter light bulbs!'  ;D
;D ;D Brilliant! Or not... :angel:

A 1/72 B-52 whif has to be good. I'm excited!
I find it very hard to believe Academy would make a mistake like that he said sarcastically...

Offline sandiego89

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 03:23:39 pm »
Wow, the weather around here has been killing this bulid- high winds and cold making spray painting difficult.  Anyhow, finally got a chance to put some color down.

Natural aluminum for the main fuselage, anti-flash white undersides.

Flap work. The kit has some great flaps that slide out and down. My second shade of natural aluminum turned out too dark.  Needs a respray.

While the new paint dries, lets' take a look at the F-104's.  Decals very yellowed  :-\  Will try the putting in the window trick...

Dave "Sandiego89"

Offline The Rat

• Proud Designated Pervert
  • Rivets? We don't count no stinkin' rivets!
    • http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Re: B-52 "FICON": B-52 carrying F-104's *paint on*
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 07:29:31 pm »
This is madness, sheer madness.

And I'm LOVING IT!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Offline loupgarou

• Full scale Arrow in basement
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 02:11:25 am »

It was Napoleon or Nero that said:
"In madness lies greatness" ?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 06:34:02 am »

It was Napoleon or Nero that said:
"In madness lies greatness" ?

Yet, for either of them, the corollary "In greatness lies madness" held more truth. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline sandiego89

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 02:09:40 pm »
Thanks guys!

Re-sprayed the natural metal.  Used Rustoleum rattle cans from Home Depot aluminum (shiny), Nickel Matte (dull) and Testors Magnesium (dark on wings) for the three metal shades used on A-F model B-52's.  G and H models used some differing metals for their skins. Gloss White anti-flash undersides. LOTS of painters tape was sacrificed. 

Engine pods commenced. 

Two seat Harrier for scale. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 03:42:29 pm »
Lovely job on that paint work sandiego   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike