Utility Mustangs

Started by Tophe, March 09, 2018, 11:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

During the Cold War, Mustangs were no more front line fighters but there were not sent to garbage either. Many ones were converted to transport generals and high rank staff:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

As generals wanted to speak secretly without the low-class pilot hearing, the P-82U was preferred:

Weaver

Nice one!

If you did a zwilling version of the AD-5 Skyraider, you could get about  seven passengers, even without fuselage mods.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Quote from: Weaver on March 10, 2018, 05:18:21 AM
Nice one!.
Thanks!

Quote from: Weaver on March 10, 2018, 05:18:21 AM
If you did a zwilling version of the AD-5 Skyraider, you could get about  seven passengers, even without fuselage mods.
A Zwilling-Skyraider would be off-topic, but you seem to confirm there was a Skyraider-like Twin-Mustang from North-American. I will search in the archives and show you if there is a success in discovery...

Tophe

I have found the Skyraistang, not yet the Twin version but this will come soon for sure, in this pile of papers... ;D

Weaver

It's actually not as mad as you think Tophe. The Skyraider was about the same size as the Gannet, and there was an English Electric proposal called the P.7 to build a small airliner (the eternal DC-3 replacement... :rolleyes:) with the Gannet powerplant, i.e. two Mamba turboshafts engines driving co-axial contraprops on the nose.

In the US there was a long series of single-engined airliners with much less power than the Skyraider pre-WWII. They only stopped making them because the CAA made a ruling in 1934 that all commercial aircraft had to be twin-engined for safety.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Thanks for this piece of History!

And thanks for the idea of the Twin-Skyraistang, actually discovered: ;D

Weaver

Heh, now you know that is a kinda credible what-if: what if some aircraft company in the '30s decided to respond to the CAA's ruling by 'simply' zwilling a pair of their single-engined airliners? After all, we know that zwillings work, and the aircraft in question aren't technically much different to the kind of WWII fighter that actually had it done to them.

- Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on March 10, 2018, 03:03:35 AM
As generals wanted to speak secretly without the low-class pilot hearing, the P-82U was preferred:
The same with the Skyraistang:

Tophe

And if the engine is too noisy for generals:

Weaver

If the generals wanted a forward view and/or a weather radar, and the designer didn't want asymmetrical power, you could put the passenger pod engine at the back of it's fuselage.

- Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Like this?

Weight centering may be funny but what-if?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: Tophe on March 25, 2018, 07:38:08 PM

Weight centering may be funny but what-if?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Just like that - nice one!  :thumbsup:

Longitudinally, the weight distribution would be no worse than on a Dornier Arrow. The wings would probably have to be nearer the middle of the fuselages, and if they were struggling for elevator authority, they could always go to a three-surface layout with a forward control surface between the fuselages that mirrors the aft one.

Quite what having big weights at the front of one fuselage and the back of the other does to roll behaviour is another matter of course - 'interesting' assignment for a test pilot!

- Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Remembering what pics of USAF Generals looked like, I imagine the CG positioning could be a REAL problem!  :o

They may have needed to add lead ballast to the tail whenever the 'self loading cargo' was aboard........ ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Yes, you are right: for BIG generals, this seems the best: