English Electric Thunderbolt (MiG-15) Profile-Finished

Started by nighthunter, March 05, 2018, 10:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

Shortly after the sale of the Rolls-Royce Nene, to the Soviets, the MOD realized their serious and grievous error. Fortunately, Britain's famous MI6 was already on the case. They had managed to infiltrate Mikoyan-Gurevich Industries and their development of the I-310 project (MiG-15). In one of the grandest acts of espionage, the MI6 agents copied the plans, and then modified them by making false measurements to cause continuous disruptions of the I-310 project. Through a series of British agents the plans made it to the Ministry of Defence and English Electric aircraft company. English Electric then started construction of P.101A, which would later become the Thunderbolt. By the time the Soviets discovered the leak, the British agents were long gone and so they cancelled the I-310 project. The P.101A's first fight was on December 30th, 1947, and the production Thunderbolt's first flight was a year later. The Thunderbolt was armed with one ADEN 30mm cannon and two Bofors 20mm cannons. The Thunderbolt served in RAF and colonial air forces til it was replaced by the venerable Hawker Hunter.

Basically, a repainted MiG-15. Cause I can, lol!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Did an RAF MiG-15 not pop up here two or three years ago, in a grey/green livery?  :o

nighthunter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 06, 2018, 07:52:13 AM
Did an RAF MiG-15 not pop up here two or three years ago, in a grey/green livery?  :o
Not that I could find in the last Cold War Group build. :/

nighthunter

Dizzyfugu

Came across this hardware rendition of the topic, but I am not certain if it's the one that popped up here (maybe in teh "Found elsewhere" section?):

More pics from this kit here: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=872

Certainly has to get rid of the air dams for more credibility, and the tactical code/marking could be more RAF-esque, though.  ;)
But the idea has potential.

nighthunter

Dizzyfugu

I jave been thinking about an 1/72 interpretation now... maybe a late quickie entry, depending on how well I can realize other projects for the GB.  ;)

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 09, 2018, 07:02:27 AM
Certainly has to get rid of the air dams for more credibility, and the tactical code/marking could be more RAF-esque, though.  ;)
But the idea has potential.

I've always thought that vortex generators were a more 'British' solution than fences for the wings. Adding them to a design that doesn't have them would be a right pain though, at least in 1/72nd.

Spinners did a lovely RAF MiG-17 some time ago:

If I remember correctly, it was my idea to use the Javelin-style tail flash, and for the same reason: you can't see a tail flash on the main part of the fin from a wide variety of angles due to the high tailplane.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

What are those strange looking missiles the Mig-17s are toting?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 10, 2018, 06:59:34 AM
What are those strange looking missiles the Mig-17s are toting?

Kaliningrad K-5s, NATO reporting name AA-1 Alkali. A very early beam-rider, and like all beam-riders, none too effective. The Soviets didn't just dump it though, they upgraded it to use the IR/SARH seekers they developed for the K13, AA-2 Atoll (AIM-9B Sidewinder copy).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-5_(missile)

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Thanks very much, you learn something new every day.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 10, 2018, 08:13:13 AM
Thanks very much, you learn something new every day.  :thumbsup:

You're welcome. Some of the kits produced back in the days when good information on Soviet types was hard to come by have hilariously bad Alkalis in them. The Heller MiG-19 springs to mind, and the old Hasegawa MiG-17 is just as bad, but differently bad....

- Indiana Jones '

Dizzyfugu

@nighthunter: would you mind if I use/spin forth/publish parts of your background info for the EE Thunderbolt (original source reference will be given)?

nighthunter