Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a - US Army Air Corp, Chronton Field OK June 1939

Started by zenrat, March 05, 2018, 02:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a - US Army Air Corp, Chronton Field OK June 1939

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Supermarine shipped three Spitfires to Chronton Field Oklahoma in 1939 for evaluation by the US Army Air Corp.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

While the American pilots loved the Spitfire the US government bureau of procurement insisted that they must be re-engined with the Allison V-1710 if they were to be considered for purchase.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Supermarine were understandably reluctant to (in their eyes) downgrade their aircraft but were pushed to do so by figures in the UK government.  Work had begun but was cancelled when war broke out in September 1939.  All drawings were destroyed on the express orders of the Supermarine board.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

It is unknown what happened to the three aircraft trialled inn the US.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model

Airfix Spitfire Mk 1a.
PE cockpit from MPM Spitfire Mk XVIII and Eduard seatbelts (not that you can see them).
Decals from an aftermarket P40 set.
Vallejo paint.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

This one is for Brad C.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That looks SO good in that scheme!  :thumbsup:

And it would have been a real dog with a V1710 installed for sure.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That does look good  :thumbsup:

I've been musing a couple of types in that scheme myself lately. You never know one might actually get done  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Ohhhhh yessssuh!!!!  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :cheers: :party:

This is the best!!!  Thank you thank you thank you!!! I want every plane in existence in this!!!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Thanks folks.
It struck me last night while cleaning my teeth that if they trialled Spitsfires then they may also have done so with Messerschmitts (Bf109 & Bf110), Tupolevs (SB-2) and Savoia Marchettis (SM79 & SM82).
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

.... and Wellingtons and Hampdens and Blenheims and He-111s and Ju-88s and...........  ;)

You may need a lot of yellow paint.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 05, 2018, 03:06:06 PM
.... and Wellingtons and Hampdens and Blenheims and He-111s and Ju-88s and...........  ;)

I was restricting myself to what is in my stash (Pe 8?  Would look a lot like an early B17).  But you are right as the SM82 is huge.
It has just struck me also that my B-36 and C97 would also look good in blue and yellow.
;D

Fred

zenrat

Fred

TheChronicOne

I was thinking earlier of adding a 109 to Chronton Field after I saw this........      I'm going to order up some more Starfighter Decals PE6 sheets like what I slapped onto the F-16.  At $5 and change, you can make 2 or 3 complete aircraft.... so.... order about 5 of the things and be set for a couple years or more.  I can't get enough of these pre war schemes!!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2018, 03:10:07 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 05, 2018, 03:06:06 PM

I was restricting myself to what is in my stash (Pe 8?  Would look a lot like an early B17).  But you are right as the SM82 is huge.
It has just struck me also that my B-36 and C97 would also look good in blue and yellow.
;D

:o :o     :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:   Oh yeah!!!   Do it!!  A B-36.... HMMMM....  yeah, I believe Kit is right.. better invest in the yellow paint factory.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2018, 03:11:11 PM
Spitfires look good in any scheme.

Discuss.
Put that bad boy in some USN Tri-Color with later summer 1943 USAAF roundels.  ;D ;D  (Graft a radial engine on there while you're at it)   :o
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

I wonder how this one would look with spats and an open cockpit?

loupgarou

What a striking idea! It looks really strange in that scheme.  :o
And I agree with Dizzy, it would be even better with spats, open cockpit and maybe slightly gull-winged wings.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 05, 2018, 03:16:23 PM

Put that bad boy in some USN Tri-Color with later summer 1943 USAAF roundels.  ;D ;D  (Graft a radial engine on there while you're at it)   :o

Martin H has a USAAC Hurricane with radial, but it's in O.D. over N.G.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.