Author Topic: Done +++ 1:72 Lockheed F-94B of the Hellenic Air Force, early Sixties  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
    • Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
Re: WiP +++ Lockheed F-94B of the Hellenic Air Force, early Sixties
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 01:11:57 am »
LOL, good ideas tend to pop up in different times and places, so this confirms my concept. And I actually thought that the F-94B, in a second life, could have worked well in the strafing role. There were plans for a recce version without radar (and a bulbous nose), too, but the machine's poor ordnance load would not make it a effective bomb attacker.  :-\

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 02:23:05 am »
Seeing with a camo scheme makes you think it's a T-33, and then you notice the MONSTER jetpipe!  :o

Very much so.

It's amazing the difference your "dirtying up" does as well. Looking really good
Decals my @r$e!

Offline zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 04:42:57 am »
That's looking great Dizzy! :thumbsup:

You may not realize it, but you've also done wonders for Zenrat's blood pressure: I was going to make a (non-competition) model by throwing a coat of SEA cammo onto a Heller Starfire and sending it to 'Nam as a USAF ground attack machine, just to annoy him... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

You still could.  But you would then have to explain why.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 01:31:30 am »
There was actually a planned ground attack singe-seater variant of the Stafire (the F-94D, IIRC), but there was only a single semi-prototype (still a two-seater), which was later used as the testbed for the development of the M61 Vulcan gatling gun (with a weird, long nose that house the complete gun installation):

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 09:52:02 pm »
Wow, I had no idea about the F-94D!  :thumbsup:

Looks like somebody's already done the decent thing with it  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko::

Turns out that the F-94A/B retained the F-80's ability to carry a pair of 1000lb bombs, so it always was a fighter-bomber.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:54:33 pm by Weaver »
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:46 am »
Yes, but the bombs could, AFAIK, only be carried at the expense of the wing tip tanks.

Besides, the CG renditions are just remakes of the long-nosed Vulcan testbed, and not of the actual F-94D "as planned". Can a whif be "wrong", though? Interesting question...  :o

I have never seen a design sketch of the original/real fighter bomber version, though. The only thing I know is that it was to be a single-seater, armed with bombs and missiles under the wings (and not in pods on the leading edge). I wonder what gun armament it was to carry, and in which configuration? I'd assume at least (four?) 20mm cannon in the radar-less nose.

Maybe an F-80/F-94C kitbash could yield something plausible? Would be a nice whif theme, though.  ;D

As an addendum, things were interrupted here because I found that my reservoir of black decal sheet would not yield enough material for the tip tank decoration I want to apply. So I had to order more of the stuff. which has been delayed over the last weekend.  :angry:

In the meantime I started another project, though, an 1:72 rendition/re-interpretation of nighthunter's English Electric Thunderbolt (an RAF MiG-15).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:25:40 am by Dizzyfugu »

Offline zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 02:34:18 am »
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Offline Weaver

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 02:41:56 am »
I have never seen a design sketch of the original/real fighter bomber version, though. The only thing I know is that it was to be a single-seater, armed with bombs and missiles under the wings (and not in pods on the leading edge). I wonder what gun armament it was to carry, and in which configuration? I'd assume at least (four?) 20mm cannon in the radar-less nose.

Maybe an F-80/F-94C kitbash could yield something plausible? Would be a nice whif theme, though.  ;D

The radar buy of an F-94C was huge: plenty of room for cannons. What occurred to me was to use the nose of a Hasegawa Panther or Cougar with the four 20mm cannon ports. If it's bigger than the F-94's radome, then you can always cut the latter slightly further back, aft of the rocket tube muzzles, to get a wider section to mate the new nose to.

I've floated a couple of ideas for more radical stuff on the Lockheed 'Stars' thread here: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,21801.msg311108.html#msg311108
Principia Discordia

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 03:12:24 am »
Some very nice ideas there.  :thumbsup:

I actually think about an F-94D now, but I just have another Heller "B" in the stash. adding a single-seat cockpit/canopy should not be too complicated, but the nose leaves much room for speculation.

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:13 am »
Hmpf, more delays. I wondered why the decal material would not arrive and it seems as if the online shop had not processed the order - so I had to place it again (and wait for some more days until things can move on again)!  :angry:

Anyway, I am already busy with the EE Thunderbolt, which might see the finish line before I can direct my attention back to the Hellenic Starfire.

Offline Weaver

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 05:18:11 am »
Some very nice ideas there.  :thumbsup:

I actually think about an F-94D now, but I just have another Heller "B" in the stash. adding a single-seat cockpit/canopy should not be too complicated, but the nose leaves much room for speculation.

The F-94D was converted from a -C differences between a -B and a -C are so great that they nearly called the latter the F-97 instead. The rear fuselage of the -C was much fatter to accommodate a J-48 engine with a huge afterburner, it had swept tailplanes and a much thinner wing section. Converting a -B kit to a -C would be difficult and pointless since -C kits are so readily available.

If you want to do something different to a -B, why not do a photo-recce version? Not the LOROP version I proposed on the other thread, but a conventional multi-window job. There was a proposal to convert a -C for this mission that got as far as a flying prototype, and the feature that made it feasible, i.e. the volume in the long nose, also applies to the -B. Most tac recce aircraft of the era were single-seaters too, so you could still do your single-seat conversion and put a useful extra fuel tank in the rear cockpit.

EF-94C:

Principia Discordia

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 06:04:27 am »
Well, there's a camera nose in the Heller T-33 which could certainly be grafted onto an F-94.

Offline nighthunter

• "Maybe I like that I'm Not Alright."
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 06:30:31 am »
Thomas, I may have some Hellenic decals hanging around somewhere in my decal drawer, would you like them?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Offline Dizzyfugu

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 09:20:38 am »
Thank you for the offer - but the Hellenic markings are not the problem! It's just simple, uniform decal sheet...  :banghead:

Offline nighthunter

• "Maybe I like that I'm Not Alright."
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 09:51:32 am »
Oh, ok
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*