Done +++ 1:72 Lockheed F-94B of the Hellenic Air Force, early Sixties

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 01, 2018, 12:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, things will start slowly from my side, and the first one will be a rather simple "livery whif": a Heller F-94B Starfire, operated by the Hellenic Air Force in the wake of initial NATO partner deliveries that started in the late Fifties. Greece was an important NATO front line at that time, and the F-94 is a suitable candidate for being distributed from surplus stocks to smaller air forces in need of an all- weather fighter.

Since there's another model on the bench (real world, though  :angel:), things will probably get moving next weekend. Kit has been salvaged from the pile, I have decals ready and also a plan for the paint scheme.

Stay tuned.  :mellow:

Captain Canada

So what you're saying is, you've already got the photos done and they just need editing before you post them  :wacko:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Well, I am not a fan of anniversary schemes, but this subtle and rather simple scheme has been a favorite of mine for years. Real world, though.

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 03, 2018, 11:41:03 PM
Well, I am not a fan of anniversary schemes, but this subtle and rather simple scheme has been a favorite of mine for years. Real world, though.

I've not seen that before, but as you say it is a nice one. But then the Italian's are so good at these schemes  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Well, coming back to the real subject, things started moving last weekend, and progress is good and fast.
Since the Heller F-94B will be built almost 100% OOB, there's not much to do beyond some PSR and minor cosmetic details.

Dizzyfugu

Sorry for the visual delays - sickness takes its toll. But, on the other side, progress is good. Basic painting completed, I am currently in the weathering and effects phase. A cammo'd F-94 looks really strange...  :o

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Dizzyfugu

Even though the F-94 never wore camouflage in real life, I chose to add some (more) color to this Hellenic Starfire. In fact, the RHAF adopted several schemes for its early jet types, including grey undersides to otherwise NMF machines grey/green NATO colors, all-around ADC Grey, the so-called Aegean Grey or the USAF's South East Asia scheme. I chose the latter, since I expected an unusual look, and the colors would be a good match for the Hellenic landscape, too.

1:72 Lockheed F-94B "Starfire", aircraft 'FA 088' (ex Bu. No. 52-0088) of the 340th Mira "Flying Foxes", 111th Combat Wing, Hellenic Air Force (Πολεμική Αεροπορία, Polemikí Aeroporía); Nea Anchialos AFB, 1961 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Lockheed F-94B "Starfire", aircraft 'FA 088' (ex Bu. No. 52-0088) of the 340th Mira "Flying Foxes", 111th Combat Wing, Hellenic Air Force (Πολεμική Αεροπορία, Polemikí Aeroporía); Nea Anchialos AFB, 1961 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The basic colors (FS 30219, 34227, 34279 and 36622) all come from Humbrol (118, 117, 116 and 28, respectively), and for the pattern I adapted the USAF's recommendation for the C-123 Provider transport aircraft. Beyond a black ink wash and some post-shading for weathering effects the whole surface of the kit received a wet-sanding treatment for additional wear-and-tear effects, exploiting the fact that the kit is molded in silver plastic which, in the end, shines through here and there. The result is a shaggy look, but it's not rotten and neglected.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The machine gun pods received black front ends (against glare), which was also added to the tip tanks' front end inside surfaces. The radome and the fin tip were painted with a mix of Humbrol 168 (RAF Hemp) and 28, and the gun ports as well as the afterburner section were painted with Steel Metallizer.

PR19_Kit

Seeing with a camo scheme makes you think it's a T-33, and then you notice the MONSTER jetpipe!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yes, it's really a confusing sight, the big nose is also strange. A second glance whif.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Weaver

That's looking great Dizzy! :thumbsup:

You may not realize it, but you've also done wonders for Zenrat's blood pressure: I was going to make a (non-competition) model by throwing a coat of SEA cammo onto a Heller Starfire and sending it to 'Nam as a USAF ground attack machine, just to annoy him... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '