Spitfire F22 No 1 Squadron, Royal Scots Airforce 1953

Started by Doug K, February 21, 2018, 11:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

A flight leader's aircraft of No 1 Fighter Squadron, Royal Scots Airforce on the occasion of the coronation of Her Majesty Elizabeth 1st Queen of Scots, in Edinburgh September 1953. The aircraft was one of 12 reviewed at Turnhouse Aerodrome prior to a flypast that took in the Ancient Coronation site of Scone, in Perthshire, before flying over Edinburgh Castle and St Giles Cathedral, as the new Queen of Scots emerged into Parliament Square.

6 months later No 1 Squadron began to convert to F86 Sabres and the Spitfires were granted to museums or used as training airframes.
You may notice that post-ww2 Scots Aircraft, like those of the RAF, reverted to pre-war, relatively high visibility roundels, in this case the Saltire Blue & White Celtic Boss.
In addition as part of the occasion the Royal Standard of Scotland was applied to all participating Aircraft.

IMG_1388 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1391 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1392 by doug_alba, on Flickr

Of course I happen to have a handy Sabre....... somewhere.
I'm having fun with this back story.... http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,40383.msg754353.html#msg754353

The Rat

Oooh, she's a looker! And those roundels are great!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Ooh very nice ! Looks great in those colours. Love the sharkmouth!

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Rat on February 21, 2018, 07:34:21 PM
And those roundels are great!  :thumbsup:

Second that, this looks very good - the Irish style is a neat idea.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Great. :thumbsup:
I'm glad to see that the RSAF didn't do anything fancy like insisting on always having the blue part of the roundel on the inside and facing forwards.  I'm always getting caught out by schemes like that.
Which is ironic given the locals do it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

That looks good  :thumbsup:

Are the roundels something obvious that Scotland would use?

NARSES2

That is neat  :thumbsup: and like others the "Celtic Boss" type roundel is a great idea
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dwomby

Great choice of roundels (given Ireland's) I I love the choice of the shield for the fin.

David

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Doug K

Quote from: perttime on February 22, 2018, 06:02:15 AM
That looks good  :thumbsup:

Are the roundels something obvious that Scotland would use?

The blue is close(ish) to the correct Pantone for the Saltire, the design is Celtic-ish and follows the pattern of the Irish Republic of course. In my little world as both countries became self-governing at the same time, they might have had similar ideas for markings.....

Doug K

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2018, 01:34:38 AM
Great. :thumbsup:
I'm glad to see that the RSAF didn't do anything fancy like insisting on always having the blue part of the roundel on the inside and facing forwards.  I'm always getting caught out by schemes like that.
Which is ironic given the locals do it.

Nah, nothing fancy up here 😉