Bristol Blenheim PR.III L7373, 1 PRU, RAF Benson 1941

Started by kitbasher, February 16, 2018, 01:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

The Bristol Blenheim was a British light bomber developed from the Bristol 142 and used extensively in the Second World War. The Bristol 142 first flew in April 1935, and the Air Ministry, impressed by its performance, ordered a modified design as the Bristol 142M for the RAF as a bomber, deliveries of which to the RAF (as the Blenheim) commenced in March 1937.
One principal change between the 142M and the 142 was the repositioning of the wing from a low-wing to a mid-wing position, which allowed for more internal space within the fuselage underneath the main spar to accommodate a sizable bomb bay. Other modifications included the addition of a bomb-aimer's position and a Browning machine gun in the nose along with provisions for a semi-retractable gun turret in the dorsal position.

Blenheim I
Three-seat twin-engined light bomber, powered by two 840 hp (630 kW) Bristol Mercury VIII radial piston engines, armed with a 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine gun in the port wing, plus a 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers K gun in the dorsal turret, maximum bombload 1,000 lb (450 kg). 1,552 built. Company designation Type 142M.  The Mk I's cockpit was so cramped that the control yoke obscured all flight instruments while engine instruments eliminated the forward view on landings. Most secondary instruments were arranged along the left side of the cockpit, essential items such as the propeller pitch control were actually placed behind the pilot where they had to be operated by feel alone. 

Blenheim Mk IIf
Day and night fighter version, two man crew (pilot and wireless operator/air gunner).  Armed with two 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns in each wing plus four in a special gun pack under the fuselage. Night fighter equipped with an AI Mk III or Mk IV airborne interceptor radar.  The Mk II's cockpit layout differed from the bomber variants by having a centrally mounted seat and main instrument panel. This allowed secondary controls and instruments to be placed either side of the pilot, resulting in an ergonomically efficient layout that would inform development of the later Beaufighter's cockpit.

Blenheim Mk PR.III
Formal work on an extended-range reconnaissance version started which increased tankage from 278 gal (1,264 L) to 468 gal (2,127 L), extended wingtips and the removal of the dorsal turret.  Another modification resulted in the Blenheim Mk III, which lengthened the nose, and thereby dispensed with the "stepless cockpit" format of the Mk.I in introducing a true windscreen in front of the pilot, to provide more room for the bombardier. This required the nose to be "scooped out" in front of the pilot to maintain visibility during takeoff and landing. Both of these modifications were applied to the Blenheim Mk IV.  Crew was reduced to two (pilot/navigator).

Blenheim Mk IV
Improved version, fitted with protective armour, powered by two 905 hp (675 kW) Bristol Mercury XV radial piston engines, armed with a 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine gun in the port wing, plus two 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine-guns in a powered operated dorsal turret, and two remotely controlled rearward-firing 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine gun mounted beneath the nose, maximum bombload 1,000 lb (450 kg) internally and 320 lb (150 kg) externally. 3,307 built.

Blenheim Mk V
The last bomber variant was conceived as an armoured ground attack aircraft, with a solid nose containing four more Browning machine guns. Originally known as the Bisley, (after the shooting competitions held at Bisley), the production aircraft were renamed Blenheim Mk V and featured a strengthened structure, pilot armour, interchangeable nose gun pack or bombardier position, and yet another Mercury variant, this time with 950 hp (710 kW). The Mk V was ordered for conventional bombing operations, with the removal of armour and most of the glazed nose section. The Mk V, or Type 160, was used primarily in the Middle East and Far East.

Model: Blenheim PR.III L7373 of 1 PRU, RAF Benson.  This aircraft was lost on operations over the Netherlands in April 1941.
Kit: Ye Olde Airfix Blenheim IV.

A photo of what is believed to be L7373 having been shot down appears on page 70 of Squadron Codes 1937-56 by Bowyer and Rawlings (1979):
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 16, 2018, 06:31:04 PM
Good job! :thumbsup:

Kit's going to like this one. ;)

Second both, nice idea and build.

"Is there a long wing in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see this model?"  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on February 16, 2018, 01:42:54 PM

Blenheim Mk PR.III

.......extended wingtips ..........

Yesssssssssssss, that's the vital bit.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Whatever.

kitbasher

Many thanks Comrade.  The many projects I've got rattling around my head include the IIf described above.  NOVO Blenheim If would be the basis.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter